Any ideas On cleaning upholstery? Yellow stain from head laying on co

+14
This is rec room couch. Kids have played on it, recovered when ill etc for few years- now out of house and deep cleaning basement rec room. Can wash cushion covers but stain on arm rests and seat backs. Will to try anything. If can’t clean then will have to replace so please offer suggestions. Thanks.
q any ideas on cleaning upholstery yellow stain from head laying on co
  • Karen Tokarse Karen Tokarse on Dec 09, 2017
    As a last resort, spray with Hydrogen Peroxide. It tends to lighten up fabric, so I would use a test area. But it will also kill all the "live" stuff embedded in that fabric.

• Janice Hnat Janice Hnat on Dec 12, 2017
      Cleaned w ammonia and dawn then hydrogen peroxide and rinsed w water. Looks great. Thanks for respond

• Bambi Bambi on Dec 09, 2017
    My niece picked up a couch out for trash. Excellent shape. Got it home and after a few hours inside, the smell of cat urine became very obvious. She used a carpet shampooer and it worked wonders. They make small hand held ( I think they may call them spot scrubbers). You could also try upholstery cleaner.

• See 1 previous
      Cleaned w ammonia and dawn. Rinsed w hydrogen perox then water. Looks great. Thanks for response.

• Linda Hunt Linda Hunt on Dec 09, 2017
    Dampen a white cloth with hydrogen peroxide and iron over it a small area at a time. It may take a maximum of three attempts to take all the stain out, but this is magic for any hard to clean stain. Even an old one on a carpet!!

• Sarah Sota Sarah Sota on Dec 09, 2017
    a few drops of Dawn with household ammonia mixed water will remove anything oil based including smells. If it leaves a ring after drying, wipe it with white vinegar.

• Bambi Bambi on Dec 09, 2017
    Janice, I'm sorry you had tried my suggestions without much success. I personally know body oil stains are hard to remove. You know that yellow ring around the neck of white shirts after awhile. I've never been able to get them completely gone. I have had them lighten by using washing soda and Clorox in the wash. I realize you can't use Clorox on your sofa, but why not try adding washing soda ( found in the detergent aisle) or even baking soda and some OxiClean in your shampooer. I've also read that Fels Naptha soap (also in the detergent aisle) works wonders on even old set in stains. I personally have not tried it yet but plan to. Furniture is expensive to replace, and if the couch is in otherwise good condition, and doesn't smell bad, and all the "concoctions" fail, lol , why not consider a slipcover. They're made more modern now. It's just an idea, but I try never to give up without a fight, lol. Good luck and let me know how it all turns out.

• Bambi Bambi on Dec 10, 2017
    Hi Janice. Just read an article on Pinterest that you can paint upholstery and fabric. The results looked great. Check out Pinterest or Google upholstery painting. I think that may be my last idea. Hopefully one of them helps.

• Fiddledd224 Fiddledd224 on Dec 10, 2017
    Make a paste of an oxygenated cleaner like OxyClean or Awesome Orange (my favorite) and water. Wipe down. Then rinse with water.

• Fiddledd224 Fiddledd224 on Dec 11, 2017
    I hope it works, Janice. I foster shelter kittens and Awesome Orange has gotten me out of similar jams!

• Wanna be carpenter Wanna be carpenter on Dec 11, 2017
    I cleaned a recliner with a towel dampened with dawn - kept repeating and rinsing and scrubed until the stain finally disappeared. Do not soak the fabric just ring out the soapy cloth and scrub with it....The recliner was burgundy so I do not know if the checked lighter fabric would show a ring.....
    good luck!

Cleaned w ammonia and dawn, rinsed w hydrogen peroxide then water looks great. Thanks for response.