Remove cigarette smoke smell

+9
I recently acquired a nice curio cabinet for free. The only issue is that it came from a home where people’s smoked. I’ve tried a few different cleaners but it still smells. Will the smell eventually go away? Or should i just refinish/paint it?
q remove cigarette smoke smell
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jan 04, 2018
    Try open boxes of baking soda,coffee ground or deactivated charchol first

• Clarence Hamm Clarence Hamm on Jan 04, 2018
    Some say vinegar 50/50 water, wash walls, but in all my years nothing works except replacing dry wall, it is permanently infused in old dry wall.

• Lynn Nohos Lynn Nohos on Jan 04, 2018
    years ago i bought a kitchen table & chair set with the same problem. i used an orange oil based wood cleaner/protector directly on all wood surfaces, including the underneath. it took several months of this but it worked.

• Linda Roson Linda Roson on Jan 04, 2018
    have you tried vinegar and water?

• Janet Janet on Jan 04, 2018
    Soemone once told me to put crumpled newspaper in an old refrigerator for about a week and the musty smell would be gone. It did work. Not sure if it would help with cigarette smoke, but worth a try.

• Liz Liz on Jan 04, 2018
    place some baking soda in to absorb the odors

• Prstephens Prstephens on Jan 07, 2018
    I have an ion (ozone) machine. They work. The other method is sun and air. Move the piece outdoors to a very sunny place. I do this kind of cleaning in the summer when I know it will be nice and hot and no sign of rain. Thoroughly wash it down with vinegar, baking soda and water solution. Yes, I know vinegar and baking soda will foam. Wait till that process stops then add your water. Scrub scrub scrub. Let it dry in the Sun. Rewash with just vinegar water. Again, let it dry in the sun, rinse well. Leave this set in the Sun a day or so if you can. When you are ready to bring it back inside wash it down one more time this time using and orange oil-based wood cleaner. What's back inside polish it up with a lemon oil polish. Hope this helps.

• Michelle Reavis Michelle Reavis on Jan 07, 2018
    Put 5 or so dryer sheets (unscented are ok) inside and close doors. Replace every few weeks.

• Wanda sinnema Wanda sinnema on Jan 07, 2018
    As a newly wed great grandpa gave us a recliner.. once we got it home it was horrible with CIGAR smoke, something we never smelt at their home.. We placed it in the garage for a short time the smell went away. For the cabinet I'd try pure vanilla extract.... I use it for fish when cooking and no more fishy smell after few minutes. It's a natural deodorizer. OPEN A BOTTLE AND PLACE INSIDE THE CABINET. It must be extract not flavoring..you might try wiping the exterior down with some also. its dark so it would not show..

• Jamie Jamie on Jan 07, 2018
    Have you tried putting a couple of boxes of baking soda inside and close the door. Baking soda is a great absorbent. In the past everyone used to keep an open box in their refrigerator because of all the smells.

• Flipturn Flipturn on Jan 07, 2018
    Clarence is right about the drywall. If the curio is solid wood then there is a chance that the smell can be removed, but if there is any fibreboard or non-wood composition, then you may be out of luck.
    I would say that if you don't have success with any of the solutions suggested above, then don't waste any more time or money on the curio. You got it for free, so no great $ lost. Donate it on to a new home.

• Specialty Air Purifiers Specialty Air Purifiers on May 28, 2019

There are several ways to remove smoke smells from your home. Cigarette smoke smells are created from the residue left behind after smoking inside. We suggest using an air purifier for smoke to remove the smoke odor and smoke particles before they can produce odor.