I have a big wall mirror, I would like to put on a plain wood border.

On the mirror in the corners are raised flower appliqués and the wood will not lay flat. Any suggestions on how to flatten/remove the appliqué!!
Thank you
q i have a big wall mirror i would like to put on a plain wood border
  8 answers
  • Bettie Gordon Bettie Gordon on Mar 23, 2018
    Only thing I can think of is to remove the appliqués if possible and either reposition them or use something new after you put your border on it. If you can’t remove the appliques and really want the wood border you may Consider cutting the border in a shape that allows the appliqué s to remain exposed. That would leave your corners raw so to speak. Not sure if you can picture what I mean, wish I could draw you a diagram. Anyhow you could also cut the mirror to a smaller size. Hope this helps, good luck.

    • Lois Lois on Mar 23, 2018
      Thank you Bettie, it is the appliqué that I don't want.

  • Hb Hb on Mar 23, 2018
    In other words, you want a plain frame ? I would not attempt to remove the appliques , if they are carved on they wont come off nicely , if they are glued on ......unless you want to soak your frame for weeks in water ( which could warp the base ) then I do not think this is doable. Why not just mount your fancy frame on a larger plain frame or barring that just buy a new plain frame for your mirror . You can sell the appliqued frame to offset the cost of a new plain frame.

    • Lois Lois on Mar 23, 2018
      Thank you for your imput, I just might have take off the old frame and put on a new frame....I didn't want to do that, but I might have too.

  • William William on Mar 23, 2018
    It's not the applique that's preventing the miiror from layng flat. The frame is probably warped.

    • Lois Lois on Mar 23, 2018
      The frame is not warped, it is the appliqué that is sticking up. Thank you

  • William William on Mar 23, 2018
    I get it! you want to put plain wood over the existing frame and the applique is raised! Best way wood be to either sand the applique down level with the frame or carefully carve it out with an Exacto knife or razor knife.

    • Lois Lois on Mar 24, 2018
      Thank you William, that is exactly what I am trying to accomplish, however, eventho the frame is wood I am not sure if the raised appliqué is wood or plastic or something else. What to do if it is some other material?
      Thank you, Lois

  • Rini Rini on Mar 24, 2018
    Hi, Lois47,
    Why don't you paint the whole frame and distress it? It seems to me you may have an awesome opportunity to get a new look out of your frame without having to remove the appliques! I understand what you are saying about it apparently "sticking up" in those areas, however, if you sand it all over just a bit, paint it with an off-white tone and then distress it, you may just achieve an "old" look that will make it come back to life and even take advantage of the shapes it is now taking. Since your frame is already a dark color, it would be quite easy for you to do that and you may just fall in love with it all over again! I see it and I can just imagine how wonderful it will be!!!
    You just need a few items and you have a couple of options on how to do it!
    Let me know if it appeals to you and I will tell you how to do it.
    Have a nice day!

    • Lois Lois on Mar 24, 2018
      Thank you for your reply....I absolutely love the distress look, but the mirror frame appliqué I think is the French Provential era. I was going for the plain wood distressed look...in either case I would love your input on how to distress, if you don't mind. Thank you, Lois 🤗🙂

  • Deb K Deb K on Mar 24, 2018
    It would be easier for you to just replace with a plain frame.

    • Lois Lois on Mar 24, 2018
      Your probably right, seeing where I already had the frame, I guess I was trying to be frugal!!

  • William William on Mar 24, 2018
    Other than metal you should be able to sand it off. For any kind of plastic use a coarser sandpaper. A fine sand paper will clog up very fast. Do the same if it's plaster. You can wrap a stiff sponge with the sandpaper to get into the crevices and contours.

    • Lois Lois on Mar 24, 2018
      Thank you so much William, I am going to try that!!!
      I appreciate your imput.

  • Kelly Mooney Kelly Mooney on Mar 26, 2018
    Paint it your favorite color!! It will give it a different look. And make the raised parts look completely different. I would sand off the varnish then just paint away!

    • Lois Lois on Mar 26, 2018
      Thank you, Kelly....that is what I am going to do....I am going to sand of the raised part of the appliqué first.