I have a favorite seam ripper (for sewing) that is getting dull.

+4
I have a favorite seam ripper (for sewing) that is getting dull. How can I sharpen it? It is an industrial one that I used when I sewed in a factory.

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Dec 09, 2017
    If you can get that edge on it, try using sharpening stones. Start with one that is courser and work your way up to fine to get it good and sharp.

• Sharon Sharon on Dec 10, 2017
    That would be a really hard one to do, you could try jeweler's rouge, but I think I would try a professional knife sharpener.

• Becca Becca on Dec 10, 2017
    Recently my Mother in law suggested I use an Emory board (fingernail file) to sharpen a small pair of hem remover scissors. As you start the sharpening process be sure you go in the same direction as the edge otherwise it will leave them dull .

• Lov29357534 Lov29357534 on Dec 10, 2017
    A seam ripper is especiall difficult to sharpen since it is a very fine, CURVED BLADE. One day I was in a huge hardware store, but I do not remember which department, and saw a very small ROUND, FINE GRIT, FILE. It may have been the gun- ammunition department or where they sold equipment to make fishing tackle flies. Any way it works well and I treasure the one I have for this purpose. Everyone in my house hold is under threat of death if they remove it from my sewing machine drawer!