So, I live in a very dark house -need extra light

+5
Does anybody have creative ideas on how to bring more light into a dark home without hardwirlong fixture? I need a cheap creative solution here – thanks for your help!

• Dfm Dfm on Jan 07, 2018
    mirrors in strategic locations to reflect the available light.

• Wanda sinnema Wanda sinnema on Jan 07, 2018
    Paint, light colors reflect rather than absorb what light does come in. Next, mirrors, place them on wall that get some sun if possible. they will reflect the sunlight at least part of the time.. Window coverings can help too. keep them light, if you don't like the look of being wide open, try light colored simple sheers under or over the existing coverings

• Sandra Ware Walton Sandra Ware Walton on Jan 07, 2018
    Have skylights installed.

• 26061930 26061930 on Jan 07, 2018
    A couple of spot lights trained onto the ceiling, to reflect into the room

• Sharon Sharon on Jan 07, 2018
    When I moved into my 1940s house I thought it was very dark and the ceiling was a mess thanks to the druggies burning their garbage in the fireplace and turning the ceiling orange. So I primed the ceiling several times, and then painted it a bright artic white in satin finish. This reflects light without looking shiny. Great improvement. Then I added timers on my lamps so they go on when it starts getting close to sunset.
    My house is all old cedar shiplap, so no painting the walls. But if you are painting, I would choose lighter shades of your desired colors. You might try using Sherwin Williams color selector where you put your room photo in there and you can see what the color will look like... https://www.sherwin-williams.com/visualizer#/active/scenes choose box on right and upload your photo.

• Ilovehometalk Ilovehometalk on Jan 07, 2018
    Hang a mirror opposite a light source. Lighten window coverings and avoid room darkening blinds. Open the curtains of a nearby room to filter light in. Lighten up wall color, picture frames and choose furniture with lighter surfaces even if base is darker. Use bright accents like pillows to liven it up.

• Rebecca Taylor Rebecca Taylor on Jan 07, 2018
    Hello, You can paint a really light color. Mirrors with a hanging light next them will reflect the light and give a brighter feeling to the room. Light color artwork will have about the same effect as painting the walls a light color.

• Joy Joy on Jan 07, 2018
    solar tubes. No wiring needed.