Updating a light fixture without removing it

I have those old round light bulb light fixtures in my bathrooms. (Like the ones in acting makeup dressing rooms?) UGH! I can't remove them, so does anyone have any ideas as to what I could to with them to make them look more updated?
  8 answers
  • Lindy Lindy on Jul 27, 2015
    Please add a photo and it will be easier to give ideas. Impossible to give you something substantial without seeing the items in question.

  • 861650 861650 on Jul 27, 2015
    There are light covers for this type of fixture. Check out Home Depot or Lowes and, even start by googling, "light covers for bathrooms." I never knew this until someone on "hometalk" mentioned it some time ago.

  • Sherri A. LaForge Sherri A. LaForge on Jul 27, 2015
    This is similar except my fixture has an old wood base.

  • Patti Patti on Jul 27, 2015
    It will be more difficult to paint without removing it, but it can be painted. If you use spray paint be sure to cover up EVERYTHING, it will go further than you think. I saw a brush on paint the other day on Hometalk that I'm dying to try. It was Rustoleum UltraCover in Oil Rubbed bronze. The used it on bathroom plumbing fixtures. If it can survive that, it should be fine on a light fixture. I will try to include a link, but don't usually so we'll see how that goes! http://www.hometalk.com/diy/bathroom/sinks/how-to-paint-your-brass-faucets-4154760?se=fol_new-20150719-1&utm_medium=email&utm_source=fol_new&date=20150719

    • Sherri A. LaForge Sherri A. LaForge on Aug 05, 2015
      @Patti I saw that too. It's really pretty and it's a thought. This piece is much, much bigger and spray painting would mean I would have to cover the entire bathroom, except the fixture! UGH! ;)

  • Duv310660 Duv310660 on Jul 28, 2015
    Steam-punk it up with the revived edison bulbs - cover sockets you don't want to use and decorate over with gears or shells or what is appropriate to your decor.

  • 861650 861650 on Aug 02, 2015
    Sherri, I googled, "light covers for bathroom lights," and it brought up a page and the first store was Lowes Hardware. It even has a couple of pics. Check it out. If you cannot find it, let us know. Will help you if needed, and, post some specific sites.

  • Sherri A. LaForge Sherri A. LaForge on Aug 05, 2015
    Thank you. I saw those. These bulbs stick straight out, not down so those won't work. I'll figure something out, I guess. Thank you, anyways.

  • Jan Loehr Jan Loehr on Aug 05, 2015
    I don't know why you simply cannot just go and purchase a new light fixture? These are only held on by a couple of screws and a couple of wires. Lowes and Home Depot have a great selection of lights that look like the old street lamps that face down with bell shaped shades. We recently replaced two of them in our master bath. It is so much easier to just get new, and they are reasonably priced, rather than try to make an outdated fixture into just another color. Have you checked them out?