Wind chimes-I need ideas for things to hang inside them.

+6
I am making wind chimes from cute triangular cone shapes that I found at my thrift store. They are made of aluminum so I know there won't be a pretty chiming sound, but I'd like to attach something that will move with the breeze and create some sound. They are open at the bottom and have a small hole in the top. I need ideas for things to hang inside them.
thanks

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jan 13, 2018
    Silverware,old keys

• Kristin Daigle Kristin Daigle on Jan 13, 2018
    Seashells, buttons, pendants, rocks or crystals, washers, festhers, misc beads, indian rain makers, you dont have to use things shiny or capable of sound because it only takes a few sound makers and the little bit of wind and you will hear it. What we found rewarding most is including sentimental items such as small tokens like a gold medal that was one from a sporting event or small picture frames of course all secured and Mod Podge but adding a little bit of a Sentimental twist to it is what made it so special for us. Good luck

• Ttr30262188 Ttr30262188 on Jan 13, 2018
      thanks so much for your reply. I guess I had my mind "stuck" thinking that it all had to be uniform. It's a very free feeling to realize that I can actually use anything I want and that the objects can vary and include "special" items that have meaning for us.
      linda

• 27524803 27524803 on Jan 13, 2018
    Large nuts, bolts, and something flat to catch the wind to make them move.
    (our local nursery has a large "wind chime" made from a gas welding bottle, cut short... and a really big nut on the inside... a square street sign is the flag part to catch the wind)

• M. M.. M. M.. on Jan 14, 2018
    lengths of copper pipe (or galvanized) can be cut at your local hardware store. See if they'll drill two holes across one end, then you can string/attach them to the rest of your chimes. Different lengths make different tones, longer pipes are deeper.

• Ttr30262188 Ttr30262188 on Jan 14, 2018
    thanks so much! I would probably have completed my project without adding a flat object (never thought about that) and now I see that that is sooo important.

thanks