Asked on Feb 16, 2017

I need Permanent carpet sliders, ideas?

by Sherry
I have an extremely heavy Amish made dresser that I need to move once in a while. The carpet sliders that I have been using don't stay during the push. I need a slider that I can put under the dresser's feet and leave them there, permanently. Does anyone have a slider that works on heavy furniture on deep carpet or have they made their own slider?
  11 answers
  • Pat Pat on Feb 17, 2017

    We have sliders on an armour and leave them there permantly...also have some on a reclining problem there either...are you using the right side...ours are two for carpeting and one side for hard flooring. I would check at one of the big box store and tell them your problem.

  • Mcgypsy9 Mcgypsy9 on Feb 18, 2017

    I have found that the more rounded the slider, the better they slide. I have some friends with a very heavy hutch. We moved it like a breeze with the rounded ones. I just bought some new ones that were more flat and used them at my daughters house to move some very heavy dressers. They didn't work nearly as good as the rounded ones. My original ones are about 6 - 8 inches across And yes they show some if left under a piece But well worth it on very heavy pieces. I believe they were actually called moving men.

  • Michael Nelson Michael Nelson on Feb 18, 2017

    If your sliding on carpet, I made mine out of the bottoms of those Wendy's large plastic cups, as a bus driver, I would buy a drink everyday, and had washed and acquired a fare amount and hoped to come up with an idea, one night trying to move a heavy shelf with legs the store bought sliders kept slipping out, we'll made 4 out of the plastic cups about an inch high from bottom of cup and that shelf slide like I was superman, and because they are white and so is shelf, you don't even notice them, just a thought

  • Sherry Sherry on Feb 19, 2017

    That sounds like a great idea I think Ill try that! Thank you so much!

    • Hanu Hanu on Feb 21, 2017

      Have you gotten around to trying that method yet, w/Wendy's drink lids(?)? If not, or if that didnt work, you could try using those plastic white cutting boards, made of material made to slide, like some miter slot runners on a table saw. Customize its shape w/a jigsaw.

  • All brands of sliders are not the same! I first bought some that were an off brand and they weren't that great... So I wrote a post about it to give everyone a tip for the right ones to get. (also check at the end of my post, I have a link for a special shaped style to hide under the furniture!!)

    Hope that helps. :) Liz from

  • Dfm Dfm on Feb 21, 2017

    I like the silicone sliders for carpet, found them at a big box office supply store. if on wood or concrete i have a few srcap boards that have 4 small wheels attached to the bottom and a rope attached to the front via eye hook. worked well to get the old piano out of the sewing room, and to move my larger potted plants out side for the summer.

  • GMONTANYE GMONTANYE on Feb 22, 2017

    I had a similar issue with my iron and slate coffee table. Tried all different sizes of plastic sliders, I even had some of my Gran's old glass slders. Nothing would last long. I was bent on finding SOMETHING that would work, so every trip to HD or Lowes I would search the ailes looking for just the right thing. Just a few weeks ago I settled on TRYING end caps made for curtain rods hoping the opening would fit the feet (round about 1.5") made of METAL. Works perfectly they fit, they slide, and they wont break....I hope lol. Think outside the box!

  • Sherry Sherry on Feb 22, 2017

    Thats what Im looking for....someone who has tried the usual brands and had to think out of the box for a real solution!!! Okay, Im going to HD and Lowes online to look for curtain rod end caps!!! That really sounds like it will work thank you so much!-------Oh I just went to google images and put in end caps and with all the pics that came up I know Ill find exactly the ones I need. Truly, thank you so much

  • Norma Norma on Mar 12, 2017

    I have sliders under the couch and entertainment center permanently. Just get the right size/shape and place them carefully in the beginning. I also have some small ones under table legs that have a marble top, not easy to move because the sink into the carpet, but better than without.

  • Iml11831733 Iml11831733 on Mar 14, 2017

    And if you ever have to move heavy items on laminate wood or tile floors always save old carpet scraps cut into different sizes for those things that have to be moved. I've moved my washer, dryer, refrigerator and several other large items with no problem.

  • Leah Kelley Mcjilton Leah Kelley Mcjilton on Nov 08, 2017

    I think @Michael Nelson meant the bottom of the cup...not the lid. The bottom of the cup makes sense & Im gonna try that; great idea.