Painted brick??

Our house is siding and brick; however, there have been add-ons, cracks filled in with different colored morter so it does not seem to flow well when looking at it. What are your thoughts on painted brick to give the house a nice clean flowing look?

• Deborah G Deborah G on Dec 31, 2017
    My husband and I painted our mid-century brick home when we purchased it. It looks so beautiful; quite a few of the town's residents have commented on how great the house looks with a painted brick exterior. We used Valspar Reserve exterior flat paint and were pleased. At first we applied the paint with a "rough" Purdy roller cover but it did not cover the texture of the brick and we were having to go over sections several times for good coverage. After changing the roller cover to an "Extra rough", that problem was solved. The extra rough roller covered the brick and mortar in one application. Also, we did not use a primer first , just applied the paint. I would recommend using Valspar Reserve paint as it worked well for us.

• Debi53 Debi53 on Jan 01, 2018
    We used masonry solid stain on our brick 8 years ago. It still looks brand new. We then painted the siding using paint the same color as the stain. Paint can sometimes flake off of brick, but stain seeps into the brick and will not flake. I know a lot of people paint brick and have good success. Be sure to use a high quality paint if you go that direction. Changing from brick to an updated look of all one color will give your home a more updated look. Go for it!