How can I paint old dark wooden kitchen cabinets inside and out?

I have old, dark solid wood cabinets that I would like to paint white, inside and out and add new hardware. Where do I begin and how do I do it?

• William William on Feb 04, 2019

How to Paint Cabinets

Make sure they are clean and dry. Remove the doors and hardware. Mark the doors and cabinets with tape where they go. Lightly sand the doors and cabinets to remove any gloss and roughen the surface for paint with 220-grit sandpaper. Use a tack cloth or damp rag to remove dust after sanding. Prime with a stain blocking primer like KILZ. Acrylic, or water-base, paints are low-fume and clean up easily with water. Alkyd, or oil-base, paints require good ventilation because the paint contains solvents that can irritate your lungs and make you feel sick. Alkyd options require mineral spirits for cleanup, but they provide a hard, durable paint finish. Whichever you use, buy the best-quality paint you can afford for a lasting kitchen cabinet finish. Seal with at least three coats with a water based polyurethane. Use a small foam roller and foam brush for a smooth finish.

• 37830 37830 on Feb 04, 2019

Thank you so much----I will try to do it! Or, if I chicken out, I will try to find someone else to do it for me here in the Knoxville, TN area. Thank you, thank you!!!

• Joan Joan on Feb 04, 2019

There is a phosphorus cleaner on the market that removes residue from wood like cabinet doors. Do remove hardware, get a scan of varnish, paint etc., stripper and paint on doors to remove the poly coating, wipe off with soft clean cloth, old t shirt would work best, prime and paint. It's very simple and time saver by not sanding.