Need ideas on how to paint built-in dresser in mobile home

+8
I am painting bedroom that has a built-in dresser need ideas on the dresser should I paint it same as walls or what its a mobile home with paneling I am filling in lines and painting it please help
q need ideas on how to paint built in dresser in mobile home, painted furniture
  • April April on Oct 08, 2013
    I like Samantha's idea. You could also try painting it a very light color, such as a cream or light blue, to help the room feel bigger and more lit up. :) Hope this helps!

• Pat Pat on Oct 08, 2013
    You could also use liquid starch and fabric. I don't remember the ratio to water to liquid starch. It would be easy to take off when you were tired of it and wanted to redecorate.

• Carmen Carmen on Oct 09, 2013
    That really will depend on the look you are trying toachieve. I personally would not paint itthe same color of the wall. . As to the liquidstarch and fabric would look great, but have heard that this technique attractsroaches. UGH! If you want to get rid of the wood panel look fill in thegroves, white paintable bathroom caulk will do the job, prime then paint. It’s a lot of work, but will look great in alight bright color. The dresser you canmake to look like real wood prime, paint a light color neutral color. Once dry add a very small amount of darkercolor, and glaze, mix well, then lightly paint. Using a rag or a stiff brush remove some of the pint, or use a faux woodgrain tool. Of course new hardware would give it a finishing touch.

• Pam Lee Pam Lee on Oct 09, 2013
    I just painted a dresser for my daughter's apartment at college. I did the base in beige and the drawers in turquoise ! Turned out beautiful!

• Diana Diana on Oct 09, 2013
    If you don't want the drawers to stand out paint them the same as the walls. When you do that they'll recede in. If you want them to stand out paint them a color and they will pop.

• Janet Smith Janet Smith on Oct 09, 2013
    Some mobile home and RV furniture have laminate or even wood grained paper services on the furniture. Before you attempt to paint, be sure your surfaces will accept the paint. :You can usually sand the laminate and paint it, but I'm not certain about the chipwood with a paper/plastic surface found on the drawers and case of the furniture.

• Terra Gazelle Terra Gazelle on Nov 29, 2014
      @Janet Smith Chalk paint it.. you do not need to sand and it will go over laminate. If you want to paint something that is paper covered shellac it first, then primer, then paint. The shellac will hold onto the paper//the primer will hold on to the primer, then the paint. You can use chalk paint over anything..fabric, metal, glass..wood, anything. You can make it yourself and save a huge amount. I get paint samples and make the paint with it and plaster of paris...with a little water. Love the finish. You can wax or poly over it. Depending on the colors you are using..I would paint the dresser in a color that would compliment the walls..or visa versa..but not the same as the walls.

• Shabby Paints Shabby Paints on Oct 09, 2013
    Shabby Chalked Paint will easily cover any of the laminate surfaces with out needing primer. Will look brand new. :) Those chunky handles and the etched design will add depth if you follow it with a lighter or darker color too :)

• Beverly Beverly on Oct 09, 2013
    Also, you don't need to fill in the lines or grooves in the paneling. It will look fine without doing all that. Just make sure paint coverage is even. I have found its easier to paint grooves first with a brush. Then go over all of it with a roller. Do a test area and see what you think.

• Pat880866 Pat880866 on Dec 14, 2014
    It will look roomier in your home painted the same as the walls. I also live part of th year in a mobile home and I've seen it all. Do what,feels best to you.