Can I use a small power sander to remove paint from my porch?

Deb-greg72
by Deb-greg72
+2
Have painted it with outdoor Behr deck paint but it has flaked up. I got a lot of it up but need to get the rest off before repainting. Getting too old to get down to do the prep work. Thanks for any advice.

• Cheryl A Cheryl A on Jun 02, 2018
    homeguides.sfgate.com › Home › Home Improvement › Troubleshoot, Fix and Repair

Whenever sanding paint, it is important to use proper safety equipment. ... The handheld belt sanders remove paint from vertical or horizontal flat surfaces. ... Designed for floor and deck sanding, these heavy belt sanders work on large expanses. ... The small, portable size makes these sanders the right tool to remove paint

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Jun 02, 2018
    How long ago was your Behr deck sealer placed on your deck? The customer support 1-800 line can be very helpful especially in paint and deck sealer failures.

We have had to address our deck problems ( new installation 2015) with them after having soild sealer problems with adhesion troubles and mildew over the past two years.

We were provided with new replacement stain and deck cleaner And detailed cleaning surface prep advice with application instructions. It might be worthwhile to give them a call and see if they can offer any assistance or compensation.

• Betsy Betsy on Jun 02, 2018
    I don't know if you're talking about paint that is peeling up and looking like a bunch of potato chips or just cracked. I just redid a bench that had paint that peeled up and was cracked, and being sort of on the lazy side, and necessity being the mother of invention, I just didn't want to do all of that hand sanding. What I used, and it worked wonderfully, was one of those things that you clean your bar-b-que grate with. It looks like a really big tooth brush and has metal teeth and a wooden handle. I just brushed my wood and the majority of the paint came off along with the flakes. Oh, by the by, I heard these brushes are not really good for cleaning the bar-b-que grate as sometimes the little metal things detach and stick to the grate and if you don't see them and put food on them, you can accidentally ingest them. So, use something else and keep these things for getting your flaking paint off the wood:)

• Gk Gk on Jun 02, 2018
    You sure can use a small power sander but it may take a while. I would NOT use the very coarse grit sandpaper because it might chew up the wood. I would stay with a medium grit followed by a fine grit. I used a belt sander to remove old paint from my deck--it was much more effective but the smaller palm sander worked good along the railing where it was hard to get the belt sander into. Please do not "paint" your deck again or you will be faced with the same problem. Paint just sits on the surface of the wood and is sure to peel and chip again. Use a stain that soaks into the wood--you will be happier.

• Alice Alice on Jun 02, 2018
    here's a video that might help...