How to remedy paint wearing off my kitchen cabinets.

Pat Downey
by Pat Downey

I have Sherwin Williams on painted kitchen cabinets but it wears off in high-use areas.

  8 answers
  • Patty Morgan Patty Morgan on Apr 18, 2018

    Did you sand them down first?

    • Pat Downey Pat Downey on Apr 22, 2018

      Yes. I spent almost two weeks sanding and painting the cabinets. There were 19 doors.

  • Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Apr 18, 2018

    Perhaps put a few coats of a protective top coat on the cabinets after you repaint or repair the bad areas.

  • Harleyron74 Harleyron74 on Apr 18, 2018

    If it's wearing under the door pulls you could cut small lengths of plexiglass and attach them to the doors using the door pull screws. Almost invisible and your knuckles wouldn't touch the finish any longer.

  • Sharon Sharon on Apr 18, 2018

    Its a whole lot more than just paint wearing off, looks like the wood's being destroyed? Dog? Did you sand and prime before you painted?

  • Seethebeauty Seethebeauty on Apr 18, 2018

    You know Lowes can match paint. Simply take the door off and they can sell you a small can, sand and as Nancy said, topcoat. But, really with your little can of paint, you can touch up whenever you want if you don't want to top coat. It looks like you have wear-and tear on the wood, too. Why not replace the door and repaint it.

  • William William on Apr 19, 2018

    After painting you need to seal them with a topcoat to protect the finish.. At least three coats of a water based polyurethane.

  • Colleen Loguisto Colleen Loguisto on Apr 22, 2018

    Sand and repaint BUT don't use door before paint cures. It needs the time to create the hard protective finish needed.

  • Carolyn Carolyn on Jan 12, 2019

    I had my cabinets painted about 5 years ago. They looked beautiful. But this it what I have going on now. I don’t know if he sanded. I do know it’s wear and tear from the knuckles.but now what I need to know is the best way to approach repair. Do I have to sand and clean the entire cabinet and repaint or just the area? Also is the plexi glass the only thing we can use to protect the area behind the knobs. I’m not to worried about knicks or scratches because the cabinets are suppose to look weathered. Also I know the paint and top coat he used so I can match.


    comment photo
    • Oliva Oliva on Jan 12, 2019

      Hi, Carolyn,

      You can purchase "escutcheon plates" (a metal plate that fits behind the cabinet pull, to better protect cabinet surfaces) from hardware, furniture, some home stores. Take a cabinet pull with you and the maximum width on which a plate can fit on the edge of your cabinet without extending into the recessed section of the cabinet face.

      The better the metal, the longer the plate will last. Be sure to mention that you want this for use in high heat and humidity room.