Is there an easy way to remove contact paper?

+2
We're trying to remove contact paper from wooden shelves. The paper has been in place for at least 25 years. When we start to remove the paper, it literally pulls up the wood from the shelf. Any suggestions? We tried steaming, but it didn't work. :-(
  • Candymama Candymama on Jun 20, 2017
    Ok so the best way that I have found is to get a blow dryer out and heat the contact paper up slightly to activate the glue and it should peel off a little easier. Take your time. This is a slow process so don't try to rush it. There may be some residue left over but you should be able to clean that off depending on the original surface with goo gone or another remover of your choice. Good Luck.

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Jun 20, 2017
    I had a house once where they used contact paper for wall paper in the entryway and down the stairs. We had to use the hair dryer method also or it took the paper off the sheetrock. In some places the surface came off, but not the backing and we used a steamer to remove that.

• Cindy Cindy on Jun 20, 2017
    I agree with above. Heat will reactivate the glue. After that you should pull it slowly back. SLOWLY If you cannot get it off, then you have a choice to make: Either paper right over the old paper OR replace the wood shelves. Best wishes.

• Bobbie Bobbie on Jun 20, 2017
    I used an iron with a pressing cloth to loosen up the glue. It will let go of the paper but sometimes leaves a sticky residue.