Make your own chalk paint question?

I just saw your post on making chalk paint w/latex paint and baking soda. Since the base is latex paint does that mean it won’t need sealing? My wife wants to do kitchen cabinets. They get quite a bit of use, and I don’t want to have to wax, seal, etc. or be touching up constantly. It seems it will be more durable. Let me know.

• Recreated Designs Recreated Designs on May 08, 2020

Hi Anthony. Correct. It isn't a true chalk paint when it is just chalk being added to latex paint. The chalk is just being added to give it a different consistency. With the latex in it, you will not have to add a top coat. True chalk paint (like Annie Sloan) needs a top coat as there is no latex in it. Have fun!

• Beth Beth on May 08, 2020

It sounds like you're talking about this post: https://www.hometalk.com/diy/paint/how-to-make-chalk-paint-with-baking-soda-26085922

It might help to ask your question there, since the author of that piece will be more familiar with the particulars of making chalk paint with baking soda. Hope this helps!

• Gk Gk on May 08, 2020

It would not be a bad idea to seal painted kitchen cabinets with clear water based poly regardless of what paint you use. It will add another layer of protection to cabinets that get heavier daily use. I have used latex paint on my kitchen cabinets several times now. The first two times I did not use a poly because I purchased a good quality latex paint in an enamel finish made for trim and cabinets. I did not notice any issues for about 3 or 4 years and then some wear around the handles and along the edges of the doors and drawers. Very minimal and simple to touch up. I recently repainted my cabinets again and after 2 weeks sealed them with clear water based poly. (Note: I did strip the first coat of paint from my cabinets before I painted the second time. The third time I just sanded lightly, cleaned well and used a primer). I didn't even use an entire quart of the clear poly for 3 coats. Prep before painting is your best ticket to success. Make sure that you use a stand alone PRIMER first before you paint.