Paints and stains-Is there an alternative to Unicorn spit stain?

+14

• Dl.5660408 Dl.5660408 on Oct 01, 2017
    Could you give more information? What is it that you want to paint or stain?

• Lisa Thomas Lisa Thomas on Oct 02, 2017
    Glass

• Trudy Trudy on Oct 03, 2017
    I have been wondering the same thing, that stuff is really expensive and you have to buy lots of bottles to get that wild look. I know you can turn any color latex paint into a stain for wood by diluting it with water, but it won't be vibrant.

• Annie Annie on Feb 22, 2018
    I just used acrylics on wood, and the result is nearly identical.
    Still wet and unsealed in photo.

• Haley Dawn Haley Dawn on Sep 11, 2018

I think I figured out that unicorn spit is hair dye...this is a board I did with manic panic perfect intensity and dollar tree hair dye...the sheen in the middle is just where I added some opal magic to try something...I did this quick in the middle of the night when I had an ephinany so I could make it look a lot better with a little effort

• See 1 previous
    • Haley Dawn Haley Dawn on Feb 09, 2019

That’s also a terrible middle of the night pic-I will try to find some time to take a couple more of something else and post!!

• Denise Dyer Miller Denise Dyer Miller on Sep 16, 2018

I would like to hear from more artists who have an alternative to the very expensive-not sure it's worth it- unicorn spit. I'm wondering if art oil paint might not get a like result?? Hair dye?? Worth a shot. Thanks!

• Mollygooch Mollygooch on Aug 16, 2019

I’m also wondering if mica powder might give the same effect mixed with a little acrylic paint??

• Alesha Garraux Murray Alesha Garraux Murray on Oct 07, 2020

I have tried corn starch gel(made myself) and food color gel. I mixed the corn starch gel and food color gel together first to get my color right before I mixed in gloss finish mod podge with a bit of water to cut the thickness (just enough water to make it fluid without messing up the gel consistency) . Total cost for as many colors I want in a quantity that allows for #@$& ups $8. My first batch yielded @ 25 colors at 6 oz per color( I had a huge canister of corn starch...lol). You can even add in mica powder for shimmer and bling. I'm totally thrifty and loved the look of "Unicorn 🦄 Spit" but was not even in like with it's price.

• See 1 previous
    • Megan Megan on Feb 19, 2021

What does adding mod podge do? Do you have to add that in or will the cornstarch gel and food coloring work fine without it?

• Laura Kelly Designs Laura Kelly Designs on May 04, 2021

Unicorn Spit is totally worth the money. It lasts FOREVER and can be diluted. It works like magic. I absolutely LOVE it.