Remove chalk paint from metal

+4
I painted one coat of chalk paint on my 2 beautiful wire candle holder sconces. The paint clumped up bad especially in crevices and round ends (round holed areas) where I reattach the crystal hanging glass prisms (?). I cannot get the paint off as I soaked it in water, tried Paint remover (now it's really stuck) I've even tried wire brushes and sand paper 60 grit. The pieces are too small and tight to get to good. Should I soak it in murat ice acid at this point? HELP
q remove chalk paint from metal, chalk paint, painting
  • Cheryl Cheryl on Nov 26, 2016
    Correction: muraticAcid

• LibraryKAT LibraryKAT on Nov 27, 2016
    You could try something like citristrip, see this link (http://www.pbjstories.com/2011/09/stripping-wood-furniture-my-how-to.html) or a more potent chemical stripper. It looks like you have nothing to lose at this point. I'd use a gel formula rather than liquid for less mess. Good luck! (I did check and it seems that people have used citristrip on metals. Her link was just the best with pics, though the project was wood.)

• Jmi15060055 Jmi15060055 on Nov 28, 2016
    Have it sand blasted

• Shirley4 Shirley4 on Nov 28, 2016
    I read an article here on Hometalk not too long ago about how to remove paint using saran wrap. Generously coat everything with gel Citristrip then cover it all completely with saran wrap. Wait 24 hours before removing the saran wrap. In the article it said the paint literally powders and you can brush it off. With the little crevices, one of those tiny wire brushes that look like a toothbrush might just do the trick! Do let us know how it all works out for you. That's such a neat piece you have!!!

• Diane Bemus Diane Bemus on Nov 29, 2016
      I've tried this method on furniture. The stripper doesn't dry but remains moist and you need use a putty knife and other tools to remove the stripper.

• Kathy Conley Kathy Conley on Nov 29, 2016
    A heat gun might work too. Use a old tooth brush as the paint melts to get it in the crevices but be sure to wipe the brush clean from gunk. You don't want to transfer it back on. I'm just surprised you couldn't get the chalk paint off with water.