Staining or painting kitchen caninets

+2
  • FL FL on Jan 04, 2018
    "There are a couple of things that you can DIY (do it yourself) with some sweat equity and about $100 bucks. If your cabinets are stained and you don’t want a painted cabinet, there is a product called Cabinet Transformations by Rustoleum. This product lets you darken or lighten your cabinets and keep the wood grain showing, unlike a paint. They have about 70 colors to work with, some are an opaque paint type finish, others a more stain like finish. If you start with a painted cabinet, I suggest you go with a new painted color finish. It appears that if you try to make it look like wood when starting with painted cabinets, you will not get any of the grain showing through. But even if you have dark stained cabinets and want lighter ones, I think the grain will still show through." Read more:

• Dolly Dolly on Jan 04, 2018
    Use a stripping solvent to degrease then a good laquer paint

• Gracie Gracie on Jan 04, 2018
    I have used Cabinet Transformations but it hasn't held up well and it is a LOT of work. If you want to go darker, you can stain them. I have used General Finishes gel stain on my dining room set and it worked great!

• Debbie Gartner Debbie Gartner on Jan 04, 2018
    Painted cabinets seem to be more stylish than stained ones and they seem to easier to do yourself. If you want to stain, you will need to full sand off (by hand) the existing stain and that is very challenging to do. If you don't, it won't adhere (not to mention it won't look good). And, if you have a wood like maple or similar woods, it is even more challenging to do as it absorbs the stain differently and can turn out blotchy. You would need to add a conditioner to maple to reduce the blotchiness, but it will still be blotchy. (We sand and refinish hardwood floors all the time, so I really get how this works and the difficulty involved).

If you're interested in painting your cabinets, check out this article which shows you the right method and right paints to use. I wrote it because there is so much incorrect and misleading info about this on the internet.

• William William on Jan 04, 2018
    If you want to stain you can use Minwax gel stain with very little prep.

If you want to paint.

Make sure they are clean and dry. Remove the doors and hardware. Mark the doors and cabinets with tape where they go. Lightly sand the doors and cabinets to remove any gloss and roughen the surface for paint with 120- to 220-grit sandpaper. Use a tack cloth or damp rag to remove dust after sanding. Prime with a stain blocking primer like Zinsser 123, KILZ,or BIN and have it tinted to the color of the top coat. This will prevent dark or stained surfaces from showing through the top coat. Acrylic, or water-base, paints are low-fume and clean up easily with water. Alkyd, or oil-base, paints require good ventilation because the paint contains solvents that can irritate your lungs and make you feel sick. Alkyd options require mineral spirits for cleanup, but they provide a hard, durable paint finish. Whichever you use, buy the best-quality paint you can afford for a lasting kitchen cabinet finish. Seal with at least three coats with a water based polyurethane. Use a small foam roller and foam brush for a smooth finish.