What paint colors make a room feel larger?

+3
  • Roxanne Roxanne on Jun 20, 2017
    I suggest using a lighter colour on your walls ! If you use a very dark color in a smaller room, it will make it look smaller. On bigger, larger rooms it all depends on the furniture you have

• For the illusion of a larger room, use a color scheme that's light rather than bright or dark. Pastels, neutrals and white are all color possibilities. Use a monochromatic color scheme on the furniture, rugs and walls

• C. D. Scallan C. D. Scallan on Jun 20, 2017
    Light colors make a room feel larger: whites , eggshells , grays . Also if hang a large mirror on the wall it can really help . I got a fairly cheap one that I get compliments on all the time at Lowe's .

• Clergylady Clergylady on Jun 20, 2017
    Very light colo look at color samples in a paint department. Find colors that go with you furniture or things you want in the room. Or pick a color that appeals to you but buy a light shade of that color.

• Clergylady Clergylady on Jun 20, 2017
    I have dark brown furniture and a rug I want to center the room with. It is a multicolored old fashioned floral. I'm moving into a smaller place so I'm painting the entry and living room in a pale sage green with an even lighter silver sage for trims and builtins. Bookcases will get the lighter color with the darker shade for the backs. There is a 1970's panneled accent wall in a dark worm wood. I hate it but hubby loves it so I will work around all that dark by placing some bookcases along the bottom of the wall and gold framed pictures and mirrors above them on the wall. I have material that almost exactly matches the wall color. May use that for drapes or choose between cream or white with matching sheers under so I can open up to lots of light. If it weren't for privacy I'd just do the sheers.
    When houseplants are added the funky green stays light and sets off the dark green and light green of the foliage. My orchids will look good against the dark brown wall.
    The trick is to pick what you like but in a small room keep the colors light.

• Melissa Travis Thompson Melissa Travis Thompson on Jun 20, 2017
    Any light color will make the room look larger. Also, use mirrors on each end of the room and the reflection off of each mirror will make the room look endless.