What prep is the best when using a spray paint.

+3
wooden cane chairs...metal cart. Should I be sanding in between coats? I feel like the sanding leaves marks on metal.

• William William on Aug 01, 2017
    No don't need to sand between coats. Several light coats will get you a smooth finish.

• Kim Kim on Aug 01, 2017
    You need to sand and remember that spray paint is an even coating so any bumps, lumps, or any other imperf will show through. Once your piece is sanded and cleaned well, you should spray primer on the item following manufacturer directions. Then it's time to paint!!!
    Hope that helps!
    :)

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Aug 01, 2017
    Unless there is rust on the metal,no sanding is necessary. Make sure to spray both with two light coats of spray paint allowing each coat to dry in between

• Jan Loehr Jan Loehr on Aug 01, 2017
    Krylon makes a great spray paint plus primer called Color master...no sanding and no prep work...I just did five white wicker pieces for our screened back porch..Al came out looking brand new...

• 2dogal 2dogal on Aug 01, 2017
    If you feel the need to sand between paint coats, due to drips or imperfections that show up, use a very fine or extra fine grit. If sanding is leaving marks, the sand paper is too rough.

• Psm28652277 Psm28652277 on Aug 01, 2017
    Clean the chairs with a good degreasing cleaner first. I use Krud Cutter or a cheaper alternative is Awesome sold at dollar tree, works just as well. That should be all you need. Make sure the chairs are dry, do a light first coat wait for that to dry apply second coat, wait a day for the paint to cure before using. I usually let the dry in the sun.