How can I get a crackle look on my newly painted kitchen cabinets?

Rhonda Teris
by Rhonda Teris
I just painted my bottom cabinets in 'Shipwreck' by Behr, and the top in 'Evening Jasmine'. The top cabs look to white and bare, so I was thinking of crackling the raised areas. How would I do this? Annie Sloane paint with another topcoat?? What kind of topcoat?
  4 answers
  • Sp28274349 Sp28274349 on Apr 21, 2017

    The crackle look is achieved with a special product that you should be able to get at any craft shop. Unfortunately, the crackle product is painted on before the paint. Most recently I used a product called Crackle Medium by FOLK ART.

    • Rhonda Teris Rhonda Teris on May 01, 2017

      I use Folk Art chalk paints - love them. I could probably put it on and just add another layer of paint, should be ok.

  • Dpbeee2 Dpbeee2 on Apr 21, 2017

    Valspar sells a crackle glaze for that. Saw it at Lowes.

  • Beth Greenberg Beth Greenberg on Apr 26, 2017

    I use plain old cheap white glue as a crackle medium.

  • Diana Deiley Diana Deiley on May 01, 2017

    I've use white glue and hyde glue. Remember: thick / thin. The more glue you apply the larger the cracks. The thinner the glue, the thinner the cracks. Apply glue, let dry, apply a colored glaze or antiquing medium to enhance the crackle finish. Best of luck.