How to paint a previously stained staircase bannister?

Want to paint spindles without sanding. Would chalk paint work, and is it a good choice for this project?

• Lise Marz Dibert Lise Marz Dibert on Jan 28, 2019

Do they still make Liquid Sander? That would clean & rough up things enough for good adherence. If not that, then for sure wash with a trisodium phosphate (TSP) to be sure there is no dirt or oil. Little fingers may have used those spindles as a hand hold...prep is key.

• Donna Donna on Jan 29, 2019

Liquid sander is still available. I use it all the time for various projects.

• Debi53 Debi53 on Jan 28, 2019

They do still make liquid sandpaper. I use it all the time. Follow the directions then prime. Even if you want to use chalk paint, I would prime first.

• Jenni Ingram Jenni Ingram on Jan 29, 2019

I don't know that chalk paint would be the best for this project. You're going to want a satin or semi-gloss sheen on the spindles so they are easy to clean. I'd get a paint and primer from the hardware store!