How to paint kitchen cabinets

+3
I love my big roomy cabinets in my kitchen but they are so drab beige! How can I paint them a hi gloss color? Do I need to sand them first and then paint or can I just paint over them? Do you recommend a certain paint?

• Teresa Teresa on Dec 15, 2017
    Other than chalk (finish) paint, you would need to wash, gently sand, and then primer your cabinets prior to painting. Chalk (finish) paint does not require sanding or primer (although you should give them a good washing). It does not give a hi-gloss color unless you put a hi-gloss poly over them. But I like the chalk paint because it dries quickly. It is what I did my cabinets with but finished with a low gloss poly. Good luck!

• Thomas Marts Thomas Marts on Dec 15, 2017
    The first thing that You need to do is get them as clean as possible with no residue film. After that, a light sanding will remove any grain that has been lifted. Surface prep is so important to the finished product and that is where the most work is. I prefer to either restain or paint with oil based paint to your desired color and sheen. Make it compatible with everything in you kitchen. Don't forget the lighting in the room.

• William William on Dec 15, 2017
    Make sure they are clean and dry. Remove the doors and hardware. Mark the doors and cabinets with tape where they go. Lightly sand the doors and cabinets to remove any gloss and roughen the surface for paint with 120- to 220-grit sandpaper. Use a tack cloth or damp rag to remove dust after sanding. Prime with a stain blocking primer like Zinsser 123, KILZ,or BIN and have it tinted to the color of the top coat. This will prevent dark or stained surfaces from showing through the top coat. Acrylic, or water-base, paints are low-fume and clean up easily with water. Alkyd, or oil-base, paints require good ventilation because the paint contains solvents that can irritate your lungs and make you feel sick. Alkyd options require mineral spirits for cleanup, but they provide a hard, durable paint finish. Whichever you use, buy the best-quality paint you can afford for a lasting kitchen cabinet finish. Seal with at least three coats with a water based polyurethane. Use a small foam roller and foam brush for a smooth finish.

• Donna Ridenour Donna Ridenour on Dec 16, 2017
    use a paint/primer all n one.

• Rosalia Rosalia on Dec 16, 2017
    haha everyone is 100% right. However, if you’d prefer a shortcut with way less work and comparable results, hit up you local Home Depot and get a box of Cabinet TransformatioNo. They have a choice of colours, no sanding needed, holds up well!
    From a lazy and impatient yet effective DIYer :)