How to refinish table top

Any suggestions on how to refinish table top? It isn't wood. The material is very porous. It doesn't have "match" the wood- I am open to ideas or pictures if you have done anything like this. I look forward to hearing from you all.
q how to refinish table top
q how to refinish table top
  • Maynard Maynard on Jan 09, 2018
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here, but I think its MDF, Medium Density Fiberboard. Similar to Masonite, but denser, heavier, and used constantly in the furniture industry. I have several cabinets, bought as a set, made from MDF. It's annoyingly heavy, thats one of its identifying characteristics. So, after looking at the side view photo, I would suggest going to a paint store and looking into antiquing kits. I say that because from the edge of the table, it looks like thats what was on there. The kit should have three parts; Underglaze, Highlighting, and Antiquing sealer. Its like a varnish, and I think you'll be happy with the results.
    Or you could just paint it, 2 coats minimum, 3 is wonderful. Looks like a factory finish.
    Either way, carefully examine the surface for dents or gouges, etc. as that will give you a less than perfect new top. Fill these with 5 minute epoxy above the top of the dent so you can later sand it flush.

• Sherri M. Sherri M. on Jan 10, 2018
    Oh joy! Your tables & chairs set are ripe for a creative make over! There are tons of facebook groups & YouTube showing you step by step how you can pick out the gorgeous details and very easily make this set a show stopper! Please try, then show us your fantastic finished set.
    Lucky you! Blessings ✌❤🤗