How to texture walls with mud and a sponge?

+2
We have a lot of bad walls to cover and want to texture them without using a hopper. Would appreciate ideas.

• 27524803 27524803 on Dec 12, 2017
    Mix your dry wall mud... or get pre-mixed. You can use a paint roller with a really fluffy texture, the drywall mud will have to be thinned some... roll it on and use a "rough" textured wet, but not dripping, sponge to smooth out any "points" (I use pieces torn from a car wash or tile grout sponge... as they are really cheap and have an "open" texture on the inside)
    Apply and sponge until you get the texture you want.

• Deanna Feaster Deanna Feaster on Dec 12, 2017
    Ugh! We bought a house that had textured walls and hate them! They are almost impossible to paint!! I would NEVER put texture on walls. In order to paint the walls a different color you have to sand the stupid texture and that causes more problems. Just don't texture them!

• Jjb25221893 Jjb25221893 on Dec 13, 2017
    What I`ve done in the past is used thinned drywall compound. Use whatever color paint you want the walls to be as the thinning agent. Not too thin and not too thick. Kind of like pancake batter. Apply using a fluffy roller, or a sponge. I have also used a dollar store floor broom with the bristles shortened to about 3 inches to create a grass cloth pattern. remove the long handle and use the broom head by itself. When doing this, pull the broom upwards through the wet compound, from the baseboard, about half-way up the wall, then from the top of the wall down through the spot where you stopped on the way up. Good luck with your project and let us know how it turns out.

• Debbie Debbie on Dec 13, 2017
    Depending on how bad the walls are, a thinned version as discussed above may not be enough. My house had some of that type of textured walls when I bought it. It was nasty. I took straight drywall compound without thinning and used a sponge to apply - in no particular order just swiping with some crisscrossing too. Love it! The added bonus is some extra sound proofing. As to painting it - no problem I just get the thicker fluffier rollers available any where and it works great. I would imagine you could also use a sprayer and they are not that expensive, but I didn't need it.