Want to use window unit air conditioner, but not in window.

Our third floor room has a window unit air conditioner. I hate blocking the window and great view it provides. I've seen units embedded in the wall with the remainder protruding outside. How can this be accomplished? What would be the best way to brace it? Is it a big deal to cut a hole in the wall? Help!
  6 answers
  • Mssmatch Mssmatch on May 04, 2015
    I had a contractor install both of mine, is your wall wood, vinyl or brick?

  • Ysm1000860 Ysm1000860 on May 04, 2015
    I would have a professional install it. My apartment has one and the wall from there to the end of the building molds. The apartment next door has the same issue. Somewhere water is getting inside the walls.

  • Tim's Man Blog Tim's Man Blog on May 04, 2015
    To answer all your questions..... Yes, it can be done. It is a HUGE deal to cut a hole into an exterior wall though. All exterior walls will be "load bearing" walls. The wall can be supported from the inside by basically building another set of wall framing to brace it all up while cutting the hole, and reinforcing it to be able to bear the load that was once supported by the piece that was cut out. Most likely something you'd really want a qualified reputable contractor to do for you....but it can be done, and is something contractors do all the time.

  • Judy Parkey Judy Parkey on May 04, 2015
    Hire a pro and you'll be glad you did. I had mine put in a wall of shelves and it is barely noticeable.

  • Vicki Maxson Vicki Maxson on May 04, 2015
    We've done it without any issues. If you have some carpentry skills, you can do it. Just make sure it tilts slightly up so any condensation will drip outside instead of inside. (same as with window application)

  • Deb Laber Deb Laber on May 04, 2015
    Thanks everyone for the good information. The wall is plaster (100+ year old house) with clapboard on the outside. We have a unit we can use and I think calling a contractor is the best bet for us.