What is a sturdy way to cover my window AC for winter

+2
thin plastic blows in the wind.....doesn't last thru the winter....still cold.

• Alberta Coulter Alberta Coulter on Dec 08, 2017
    There is a product that can be used inside the house. Not sure how it attaches, but once you have it up, you heat it with a hair drier and it contracts to become very taut and airtight. Might be a better solution than putting something on the outside.

• Bijous Bijous on Dec 08, 2017
    1. You can use cardboard. Secure the cardboard with clear gorilla tape. Tie-dye or paint and old towel and attach with furniture tacks to the cardboard. Cute look and the cardboard is surprisingly sturdy.
    2. You can make a wood box, attach foam insulation to the box where it meets the window and the walls and attach to the wall with angle brackets.

• Dfm Dfm on Dec 08, 2017
    there are covers for window ac units that are ready made. i've got a window unit in my bonus room. i've not had any issues with it coming off.

• Nancy Nichols Smith Nancy Nichols Smith on Dec 08, 2017
    I use a plastic tarp mine is 8 ft x 8 ft, and corner fold the edges like you are wrapping a christmas box, and I use 10 yds. 1/2 elastic from a sewing or craft shop and sewed it into a single circle which slides down over my whole air conditioner. I would think a smaller piece of plastic tarp, with a measured elastic strap to fit the very back of your window unit would work just as well.

• Cindy Cindy on Dec 08, 2017
    I agree with Alberta. You can purchase plastic wrap. I think 3M makes it. You put it on the window frame and secure it with a hair blower. The heat will make the plastic shrink until it is taught. That should stop the cold air coming thru.