What is the best home warranty company in the northeast?

My hot water heater was not working and the temperature was 8 degrees outside and has been in the single digits for about 4 days. I call my home warranty company had to wait on hold for an hour and,15 ninutes. Was asked if I wanted to pay the service fee now or 48 hours after I had received service. Well I opted to pay after service, but had to give a credit card in advance. Then I was told I would receive a call for an appointment in 24-48 business hours. I called on a Saturday. I was also informed that their service providers don't work on weekends. I need help finding s new home warranty company ASAP. Dena

• Ken Ken on Jan 07, 2018
    Home warranties and extended warranties are seldom a good deal. It is you betting that something will go wrong and them betting something won't. As you have learned they are not always (read: seldom) concerned about making a timely payout if they lose.

Consider being your own insurer if you have the the discipline. Take the money that you would have invested in insurance company profits and set it aside each month. When, and only when, you do need an appliance repair you pay for it from that fund. There is the possibility that you may be unlucky and the fund will not cover the necessary costs short term, but in the long term you will win. Every time.

• Ken Erickson Ken Erickson on Jan 07, 2018
    I looked at home warrantee companies when I was selling my house. I determined that they are a big WASTE of money. The coverage is limited, cost a lot of money, excludes many items, and their service is restricted (as you noted). Best bet is to self insure with money set aside in a saving account used for that purpose (your bank should allow multiple savings or money market accounts). Then hire a local contractor to do repairs when needed. I do that for my repairs and also why I don't have dental or vision insurance.