What would cause electric oven temperature to suddenly be 50deg cooler

+3
I broiled some steaks one nite. A few days later I was baking a roast. Altho the temp showed what I wanted to bake at, it was 50deg cooler on the thermometer I have in the oven. Is there a reset. It is a older Maytag electric stove with padded digtal controls located over the burners.

• Dfm Dfm on Dec 27, 2017
    sounds like the thermostat is failing. just follow the oven thermometer and manually adjust for correct temp.

• Jacx Jacx on Dec 27, 2017
    You might have burned out your upper element. Turn the oven on high, check to see if both are red.

• Landsharkinnc Landsharkinnc on Dec 27, 2017
    Heating elements have gotten soiled -- refer to mfg. 'Owners Guide' on how to clean

• Susan Massey Susan Massey on Dec 27, 2017
    Sounds like your thermostat went out. Time to call the famous Maytag Repairman!

• Sharon Sharon on Dec 27, 2017
    Broilers use one set of heating elements, and baking uses the other set of heating elements... sounds like your lower heating element is going. Call the repair guy to see if he can replace it.

• Libby Ellis Libby Ellis on Dec 27, 2017
    the element is probably going out and will need to be replaced,