Cracks in dry wall.

I bought an older house that was freshly painted. I am now seeing cracks in the drywall above the doors. Sure it can be repaired but should I be worried about foundation issues?

• Suzette Suzette on Dec 30, 2017
    Hi Sophia, Older homes tend to have cracks due to age and settling. When you purchased your home, did you have a home inspection? If you did, they would have discovered any issues with the foundation. If you did not have an inspection, then here's a link that may help: https://inspectapedia.com/structure/Foundation_Inspection_Methods.php

Good luck!

• V Smith V Smith on Dec 30, 2017
    Here is what a professional drywaller told me, when inspecting my work. In the future when you hang wallboard try not to make your joints at the edge of a door or window because those things move and the joint will crack. Lesson learned.
    To fix it I would use a razor knife and cut thru the paint and dried spackle, about an inch and a half on either side of the crack. Then use a putty knife to scrap away the old spackle and get down to the wallboard. Use the plastic/fiberglass mesh tape to cover the seam and cover with spackle. When it dries sand and paint. The mesh tape holds up better than the paper tape.

• Kaye Kaye on Dec 30, 2017
    I would get the painter back first if at all possible. They have many tools in their craft that should have avoided this.