How to find out if wall / beam, is load bearing ?

+2
q how to find out if wall beam is load bearing
We are removing this wall to open up kitchen. Adding a counter with bar height on living room side & counter height on kitchen side. My husband says we have to leave a 1 foot wide section (post ) at the end of new counter as he thinks that is a load bearing beam. I don't think it is. We have the schematics of our home but it doesnt show load bearing walls or beams. How do we find out?
We are removing this counter& moving fridge to wall next to French doors. Keeping existing cabinets but new counter tops. Replacing ceramic tile floor with vinyl tile. ( woodgrain )
This is the wall from living room side.
  • Itsmemic Itsmemic on Jan 05, 2018
    go in your attic and take a look

• Jha32314092 Jha32314092 on Jan 05, 2018
    Load bearing walls go straight up from the basement to the top floor , by the looks of it that wall does not look like it is load bearing to me.

• Cindy Hagemann Cindy Hagemann on Jan 05, 2018
    Most often, any wall that runs perpendicular to floor joists will be a load bearing wall, while those that lay parallel to floor joists are not.

• Flipturn Flipturn on Jan 05, 2018
    Agree with Jhardy47. As your wall is not solid all the way ceiling to floor, I would say that it is not load bearing. However, you can't be sure if it can be entirely removed until you go down to the basement to see if the wall continues all the way down to the basement floor.
    I would also suggest to remove some of the drywall in the end to see if the "post" is just lumber or if it is reinforced with stronger steel.

• Bijous Bijous on Jan 05, 2018
    From the pictures, it appears you have a post in the wall on the last picture as well as the post you want to take down. I suggest you get a structural engineer to check out the posts. I'm inclined to agree with hubby that you have two structural posts that are load bearing.