Need to replace a small section of green board outside my shower

Someone if the family doesn't always close the curtain to the shower tight, and there's a small spot on the painted drywall that has bubbled and started to mold. I hit it with bleach when I notice it, but I assume until I replace it won't go away permanently. We used green board when we remodeled 8-10 years ago, and it just started happening. The bad wall section is about 2 feet up from the floor. The wall itself is about 3" wide outside the shower. If I patch this section with new green board, what can I use besides tile to make this area waterproof? This is our only bathroom, and having it out of service is not an option.

  3 answers
  • William William on Dec 28, 2017
    I would use a strip of FRP (Fiberglass Reinforced Panel) to cover the area. It's used in commercial kitchens, freezers, and coolers. Will shed moisture and water. Glue it on with construction adhesive. Comes in white but can be painted. You can also get a strip of plastic laminate and glue that on to shed moisture and water. Also can be painted.

  • Linda Linda on Dec 28, 2017
    first check your drywall. water can spread like crazy in drywall. remove all the damaged drywall. treat for mold on your studs & floor before sealing it up. use FRP or check with your box store for what they recommend. install the new board. I would use an excellent waterproof paint to cover.

  • M. M.. M. M.. on Dec 28, 2017
    If you glue on a large panel, be sure to leave a few spots on the bottom open. This way if moisture gets in the wall, traveling from somewhere else, it can escaped through the bottom and not build up in the sheetrock behind the fiberglass panel (MOLD!). It won't even be visible, just a few inches in your glue/adhesive line along the bottom.