How to remove tar from siding without damaging the siding?

+3
I have a home that a previous owner used tar on the roof. Some of it dribbled down the side of the wall. It's been there for years and I afraid to try to scrape, or scrub, it off for fear of damaging the siding.
  • Warren Warren on Jun 14, 2017
    WD40.!! works quite well,... it might take several tries because it has been on there for so long .

• Lynda Compton Finnerty Lynda Compton Finnerty on Jun 14, 2017
    Try lighter fluid on a cotton cloth

• Kathy Kathy on Jun 14, 2017
    its been said to use Coke-cola on a rug and it should rub off after a few tries

• Nana Van Nana Van on Jun 14, 2017
    I think "Goof Off" might work. You didn't say what the siding was made from. I used it on vinyl siding once and it did slightly get some color but works well. Maybe try a little in an inconspicuous place first.

• Ljgordon Ljgordon on Jun 14, 2017
    KEROSENE.

• William William on Jun 15, 2017
    Goof Off or WD40. Won't damage the siding.

Gasoline or Kerosene?! WOW! Spontaneous combustion or a spark can set the whole house on fire. That's what was used over 50years ago before safer products were made. Remember the Chicago fire?