What is the best way to insulate a crawl space which has a dirt floor?

+2
Space about 4 feet high. Cinder block walls. About 1200 square foot area. Location is in North Carolina. Crawl space has a combo air/heat unit in it.

• Joye R. Foster Joye R. Foster on Dec 30, 2017
    Thick mil plastic is what we used.

• Toe10176301 Toe10176301 on Dec 30, 2017
    I just had an energy audit from our gas company in the Seattle area. They charge $300. But that is credited back to you when you pick from the 3 choices that they recommend to get the proper heat and cooling efficiency. It's incredible how thorough they are with pictures of where the wall S, ceilings and doors, windows, are showing the heat escaping. They said that the ceiling is the most important to have to code, 16 inches of insulation and air baffles to properly vent between ceiling and roof. Then the crawlspace is next, they plan to put 6 to 8 inches of insulation between the boards and secure it up there with fiberglass panels, after the pipes are wrapped properly. Then they will put a vapor barrier down on the ground the entire square footage of my house. My house was built in 1951, and has not been maintained well as to utility efficiency. Good luck in your researching for your house.

• Sharon Sharon on Dec 30, 2017
    You usually start with what the problems are? cold floors, bad odors, mold, standing water and then decide the solutions. You can totally encapsulate the whole thing, you can put in a sump pump and drain to solve water problems, you can insulate the concrete walls and the floor joists to make it warmer and keep the furnace from working over time. Here are links to videos on YouTube for each solution... https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+insulate+crawl+space+with+dirt+floor

• when I lived in a home like that, we used a thick mil plastic sheeting over the dirt and stapled some on the floor beams under the house. did help a bit. good luck!