Ideas for covering a curtain rod

by M
The curtain rod is already in place I need to come up with a solution to raise the rod so existing grommet blackout panels don't hang on the ledge. They only need to go up 3/4 inch but they look really sloppy. Other than having them professionally hemmed, any ideas how I can cover the rod so it will raise rings on panel up?
  8 answers
  • Linda Carbone Maehr Linda Carbone Maehr on Sep 18, 2016
    You can hem them yourself with a Fabric Bonding Glue. Just fold it up to the desired length, iron it, than apply the bonding glue and follow the directions for the glue from there. Its very easy.

  • Laurie Laurie on Sep 18, 2016
    If your curtains are standard length and the rod is attached to a wall without tile, it might be worthwhile to move them. Just use the top screw as the new bottom screw and make one new upper screw hole. File old hole With Polly Filla and paint just the hole to save redoing the whole wall. Can use a $4 sample paint from Home Depot. Linda's tip to remember is best if your curtains are longer length than standard. Good luck!

  • M M on Sep 18, 2016
    I do not want the curtain hemmed, I want to come up with an idea to raise the grommet up on the rod. like putting something on the actual rod which will raise the entire panel. The rod is flat as it is a Bay window.

  • William William on Sep 18, 2016
    Only solution would be to raise the rod.

    • M M on Sep 18, 2016
      Rod can not be raised as this is an apt in a very old building with woodwork that is beautiful. I am looking for an idea to cover existing rod which is flat with something to make it thicker which would then raise up grommet on top of panel the needed 3/4 inch.

  • Lori Lori on Sep 18, 2016
    William, there is almost always more than one way to do stuff, you know that. ;) I wonder if there is any way you could glue something along the top of the rod, like a long piece of curved trim made for corners that guys like my husband makes that don't quite come together. :( You could paint it the same as the rod. Depending how thick the rod is, could you buy shower rod covers, the plastic slip on ones, lay something 3/4 inch on top the rod and cover it all with the plastic covers? There has to be something easy you can do, I know exactly what you are talking about. Good luck and I will keep thinking.

  • Julies1949 Julies1949 on Sep 18, 2016
    It is hard to give an answer when we have no idea what the curtain rod you are talking about looks like. If it is sturdy enough, you could attach another rod that is 3/4" in diameter to the top of the current rod with double sided tape or 3M Command velcro strips. Then hang the grommets over both rods. This will work best if you do not have to open and close these curtains very often. It is also contingent on the grommets being wide enough to go over the width of the two rods.

  • William William on Sep 18, 2016
    What I would do is get strips of wood/molding 3/4" or so higher than the flat rod. Paint it the color of the rod or close to it. Use double stick tape, carpet tape or 3M Command tape and tape the strips to the flat rod. Should solve your problem. And since this is a rental, they can be removed without damage to the rod.

  • Suellen Hintz Suellen Hintz on Sep 19, 2016
    It depends on what type of rod you have to use...can you describe or post a photo? I've thought of a few ways to make this work but, again, it depends on the current rod.