Barbara M
Barbara M
  • Norfolk, VA
Asked on Jan 16, 2012

I am considering buying American Woodmark cabinets from Home Depot. Does anyone have any experience with these cabinets?

SarahGiGi ColemanBik33562236
+41

• 3po3

I don't have any personal experience with this product, but I know Home Depot installers can hit-or-miss if you plan to go with them for the work as well. People have great experiences and get great deals, but others are disappointed. I would recommend going with a smaller local company with impeccable references for the install.

• There ok, The shelves are thin meaning they will warp when any weight is put on them. The hinges sold with the doors are cheap as well. They tend to come loose and the internal springs fail. The drawers are OK, but the glides are low quality. These cabinets have a fairly good quality finish. But if your home is hard on cabinets in general. They may not be a good fit. Some people however take real good care with what they purchase and if you do not abuse these you will get many good years with them. But if your hard on them, you will be fixing hardware and door adjustments all the time. We use these a lot when were prepping a home for a flip. The owners do not want to spend a lot of money, and if installed well, they do look pretty good.

• Designs by BSB

They are definitely in the lower bracket of quality in the cabinet industry. Woodbridge pointed out some the very big concerns. Ask to see the spec book and look at the construction features, taking note of the thicknesses, the type of drawer construction and most importantly the warranty. I would also encourage you to see a local dealer before a Home Center. If you can find one with MasterBrand Cabinets, you would be leaps and bounds ahead. They offer a big variety for any budget, and maybe most importantly .. they have a real Lifetime Guarantee. If you have a strict budget, then look at Kemper Echo .. if you are mid range, look at Kemper Choice. Both have really great options at competitive prices. People pay a huge premium for box store installs. Again, check references of your local cabinet dealers - you can usually save at least 20% on installation alone by staying away from the big stores. MasterBrand is the largest cabinet manufacture in the industry - you can see their lines here: http://www.masterbrandcabinets.com/brands/index.cfm

• S and W Kitchens, Inc.

Two great responses Check your local home center for the Martha Stewart or the thomasville cabinets. They are both masterbrand products made by Diamond under a different label. They have a smaller offering as far as door styles and finishes but are a great value. Diamond vibe may also be available in your area....good luck!

• Designs by BSB

S-W .. I know the MS line is a simplified version of Kemper Echo, do you know if they are offering the same Lifetime warranty? Ive been wondering myself

• Barbara M

I am reposting my thank you to all who responded to my inquiry because I'm not sure if the first one went through. I really appreciate all the info and will definitely look into the other suggested lines. I had chosen the all plywood line from American Woodmark because of being made in America and they said the wood was also American grown. Thanks again Barbara

• Renovation by Design

I have installed these cabinets. I think the quality is great, it's all about the installer. Here is a link to help you with cabinet choices. http://cwremodelcontractor.com/1/category/kitchen%20remodeling/1.html

• Jed259135

I have these cabinets and love them them are strong and beautiful the company that installed them did an excellent job

• Gemelie

I ordered the cabinets from Home Depot and they were just installed. Everything is in a perfect shape. The doors are of great quality. The shelves are thick and solid, the wood quality of the doors is excellent and colors are rich. I am surprised with above reviewers. I ordered Savanna, the top of their line. I checked local showroom and they sell the same line of cabinets under different names than HD and at a 50% higher price. I got all free upgrades from HD - free glaze, shelves painting, soft close doors, silverwear drawer and one free cabinet. If you don't want to order custom cabinets, they have enough variety to create a great kitchen.

• Del33134826

Did you order Woodcraft cabinets. I'm so scared now-we've gone though so much designing it all with Home Depot and they've been great-but now the reviews. Can you tell me exactly what cabinets you've purchased and how they have help up. Are they painted or stained?
  • Harold

I bought cabinets online and I liked the quality if the cabinets http://allwoodcabinets.com The ones I bought were white and I think they are good cabinets.

• They a re certainly not the top of the line. We've had better results from their Thomasville line like this one we are currently installing.

q i am considering buying american woodmark cabinets from home depot does anyone have, kitchen cabinets
  • Nur328469

I would never recommend buying woodmark cabinets , We just had them installed and the cabinet frames are a totally different color than the doors. I have had a rep from the company to my home on 2 occasions and there has been no attempt to compensate us. The doors are inconsistent in color and wood grain. They look terrible especially when the sun shines into the kitchen. I will be stripping and staining my 5000.+ dollar cabinets as soon as the weather gets nice!!!! Very unhappy with this product. We have had over 20+ people in to see our new kitchen and no one who has seen the cabinets would consider ever buying woodmark cabinets!!!!!! They don't back their products and do not care if their customers are happy. I would not recommend Home depot either for the same reasons

• Peggy

I purchased American Woodmark cabinets in March of 2013. The cabinets were stripped where they screwed the metal piece in for the drawers. We had to wait 10 weeks for new cabinets to arrive. I then was at Home Depot wanting to purchase handles for my drawers and cabinets so I went to the sample where I chose my cabinet and realized I had the wrong color cabinets. It is now October and I have been dealing with them for 6 months. I had to send a door to them in May to look at and I still don't have my door. I am ready to take this to the Better Business Bureau and Attorney General. I believe we should be compensated for all the trouble we have been through. I have to live with a color I do not like. Too late to change because I have granite counter tops. Very upset with this company.

• Estelle

I had a bad experience with Home Depot concerning carpeting. I got the store manager and carpet dealer to come to my home to look at it and they both agreed the job was bad. Asked me what I wanted done, I said, either rip it all out (full house) and replace or refund me the money for the instullation and send your best installer to fix all the problems....done.
  • Home Depot so I understand no longer sells that brand. This is what your hold up is. Not much you can do if they are still willing to warrant the product, no matter how long it takes. I had someone the same issue. Waited five weeks for stuff to arrive, mixed pallet with two orders, Pretty much the same order. Yet different color. The store gave my stuff to the other customer and I ended up with his. I brought back the wrong product only to find that the stuff the other person had received damaged the project as they discarded the packing and simply put everything in back of truck damaging it when they returned it. I ended up waiting another four weeks for product during this time I had already tore out the clients kitchen. Never again. I deal with cabinet wholesalers and they deliver everything on site where I check before accepting order.

• Johnny West

I just installed my small kitchen with American Woodmark cabinets. They are basically junk for a high price. If i had to do it all over again, I would never have done it. Ask yourself this question: If you can buy a SOLID WOOD toekick from Lowes or Home Depot for 9 dollars, why does American Woodmark supply a plastic-coated piece of cardboard for toekick and charge out the wazoo for it. Cabinets come in damaged, marks on them, out of square, in need of sanding down to fit correctly with each other, and on and on. I've never seen such a LOW quality product in my life. I paid over 7000 dollars for a very small L-shaped kitchen with NO fancy stuff and I feel I was ripped off. The entire experience was very disheartening. It "looks" good, but I know most of what these are made out of is just particle board and plastic. I got white cabinets, but they upcharge you if you want white insides, otherwise it's fake maple printed on plastic. Don't buy this product line, they are junk!

• Susan

We just installed them in our Kitchen, I absolutely love them, they are very rich looking cabinets. We bought them thru Home Depot, they offered free upgrade to plywood. They are Newport/ Birchwood cabinets. Best for the buy. Stain is Cognac, rich brown tone.

• Tim

DO NOT PURCHASE THE THERMO FOIL FINISH. I installed Del Ray THERMO FOIL white finish cabinets in Dec 2009. 18 of 26 doors are peeling and separating from the cabinetry. The local rep stated they are moving away from this product because it does not last. Yes they are replacing the defective product but will not allow me to pay the difference for non THERMO FOIL doors. Additionally the cabinet faces have yellowed significantly leading me to believe a low grade oil base paint was used to finish. These are price point cabinets, you will get what you pay for. They are fine for a flip but don't expect a lasting investment if you intend to live with the cabinets.

• Jamie Schultz Tucker

A few of ours were doing the same thing and they, begrudgingly, replaced them but now, and then, they are saying that the light rail was put in improperly and that is why heat is getting to them....what??? Light rails are cosmetic, to hide under-counter lights and not used as a heat shield! Our cabinets were discontinued the year after we installed them, 2013.

• John brown

American Woodmark has poor quality on their cabinets I ordered white cabinets and the butt joints all had lines in them different sizes and you can easily see them the rep Angela Singewald stated that they are considered natural seperations they don't sell the cabinets that way the quality stinks and now I have to live with until I sell my home or replace the cabinet doors. Thanks American Woodmark a waste of 13k

• Pap1471108

I used Newport thermofoil cabs in 2 houses in 2003, both homes have defects in the seals between the door and thermfoil coating which is separating from the doors and draws. Now talking to Am Woodmark about repair and replacement-a nightmare. don't go w/ a thermofoil product

• Marie

I am having the same problem with White Newport doors. The thermafoil coating is separating from the edges of most of the doors. After telling me the doors were installed too close to the stove (based on design by Home Depot) the rep could not explain why all the upper doors in the entire kitchen had the same problem, even those 6-8 feet away from the stove. After 4 months only some of the defective doors have been replaced. They should be taken off the market.
  • Gina Knable

DON'T do it!!! Search reviews. I just bought them and wish I hadn't. They split at the seams. When they reorder the door fronts to replace them you'll be lucky not to get the same thing. Then they will tell you it's a natural thing that just happens, especially if they're painted or glazed. Just DON'T.

• You have to understand, you get what you pay for, never more. Most all cabinet manufacturers make and sell different grades of cabinets. And most people go to the big box store and see American Woodmark, Hampton Bay, Kitchen Classics, and Project Source believing that off the shelf, stock cabinets have the same quality as custom or semi-custom cabinets costing 2 -4 times as much. REALLY? Wise up folks. The cheapest cabinet in the store, is the cheapest for a reason. Cabinetry is a major investment and you need to do your research. Experts will tell you a kitchen remodel should average between 10% and 25% of your home's value. If the cabinets your looking at costs significantly lower than that, like those listed above, BEWARE.

• Jamie Schultz Tucker

Wish we would have seen this post before we purchased, but we purchased in 2012. Thought Home Depot would have our back....WRONG!

• NEVER EVER buy cabinets from a big box store! Oh if you're willing to pay more than from a custom shop you can get decent cabinets, but usually like most retailers they mark cabinets up 50% then tell you you'll get 30% off and a free sink, lol. Go straight to an authorized dealer, or authorized installer for the best quality and price.

• Mari Detto

The best reasonable cabinets we've purchased for 4 kitchen remodels are these from cabinetgiant.com----- RTA reserve in vintage white. I've had them in my kitchen for 4 years and they are like new.
  • Bernice H

what about cabinets from Sears? Are they in the same category as HD?
  • Scott

I am a licensed general contractor (32years). I have used this cabinet on several projects in the past. NEVER again. Their customer service is absolutely horrible. I would not install this product if it were free!
  • Bik33562236

Run don’t walk RUN spent 9k on cabinets they look like they were made by 5yr olds absolutely junk. Fighting with manufacture for a refund

• GiGi Coleman

I have had American Wood Cabinets since 1997 and have had one minor problem. The hinges on top part of lazy susie broke but it was a quick fix. We only had 1 child at home in 1997 and they left in 2002 so this may have also been a factor.

• Sarah

Don't do it. We are doing a kitchen reno and it has been rife with errors. First order: all corner cabinets split or broken. It took 10 days to receive new cabinets. This delayed construction and increased contractor fees, considerably. Today, when the contractor was hanging the wall cabinets, we realized they sent the wrong size. Shoddy workmanship, poor quality control. It costs us thousands in delayed construction.