Vinyl plank flooring vs pergo (laminate)

+43

I currently have stinky dirty carpeting in my living room and I want to replace it with a durable flooring that can stand up to dogs and kids.

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jun 26, 2016
    I have Wilsonart Laminate flooring.

• Pat Cook Pat Cook on Jun 26, 2016
    I recently bought a home ,and wanted New flooring, after shopping, and many considerations, I opted for ARMSTRONG Luxe Plank with the FasTac backing. There is no gluing, hammering, or special tools needed, and ,if a piece doesn't lay correctly, or an edge needs modifying for a better fit around a door , just pick it up, and do what needs done !! I wanted a floor that resembled a weathered 'boardwalk', and I'm in love with the results !! You can see the products on-line, then find a store. I visited three, and each store, gave me a little different price. We installed ourselves, so saved on installation costs. Hope this is helpful !! :-)

• Comet Comet on Jun 26, 2016
    We used a "Luxury Vinyl" to re-do our bathroom (used by 7+ people daily) and we love it. These look like tumbled stone and we grouted them; looks like real travertine. You can remove the grout and re-do with out having to re-do entire floor. We love it! We are putting in industrial vinyl planks in our LR Kitchen and hall; so far hall and part of KR is done and it is great/ sooo much better than the stinky old carpet! (We have a family member who sells Pergo and will not recommend it)

• Deb Dietz Deb Dietz on Jun 26, 2016
    Vinyl plank comes at many price levels. We recently installed it in an apartment. We have installed many types from laminate to ceramic and now vinyl plank. The laminate may be purchased with special attributes such as burn resistant, scratch resistant, etc. I have seen the good quality plank that has held up well under rough use and thus am choosing it. Check with your choice to see how difficult it is to replace a damaged plan the middle of your room. I think I am going to be very happy with our vinyl plank floor.

• P. Thompson P. Thompson on Jun 26, 2016
    My daughter had a flood & had to replace her laminate wood flooring (which wasn't aging well) and since she has 2 small kids and a cat, she chose a vinyl plank that look like wood--with a texture. It's imperious to most all things a child can inflict! She did scratch it a little with a piece of furniture but that's easily concealed with a colored furniture marker. If I move into a different home, I'm installing it, too. I hate tile & grout cleaning and it does a number on old joints... don't know why people love it so much...everything breaks when it comes into contact with it. I highly recommend vinyl plank with a wood look!

• Comet Comet on Jun 26, 2016
    Luxury vinyl is a thicker vinyl that is more like the real item---the plank itself is a bit thicker and has (in our case) more stone like look to it ---I believe the part where the design and the top coat is also thicker. These are thick enough to be grouted using special grout (which comes in color options) but not as thick as say ceramic tiles. Ours is holding up really well with 7+ people using the room and three dogs. The total cost of our 6x12" bathroom was around $100---we bought the flooring; trowels; the primer for the underfloor (help the tile and grout adhere better) a special scraper to get our old tiled vinyl floor UP , the grout. We love it! Our other flooring is a recyled thick vinyl wood look floor that a relative "rescued" when a local place was re-done; this was a lay and click flooring and we love this too. All in all I am really liking the thicker vinyl vs the older sheet and tile flooring we had at various times.

• Judy Judy on Jun 27, 2016
    I would go with the vinyl plank, easier and less expensive installation, maintenance is a breeze. Exhort you to research the scratch resistant quality of the produxt you choose. Most of all train your dog not to scrach the flooring, regardless if what flooring you opt for this will determine durability.

• My husband and I just put in for a little over a $1 a square foot the Trafficmaster from Home Depot. This floor is great! we have 2 dogs and 3 cats running in and out too. Pergo flooring is great for wetter areas such as kitchens and baths. It is more expensive but 24 hour water resistant (Home Depot carries this).

• Michele Pappagallo Michele Pappagallo on Nov 11, 2017
    We have had both....and I would NEVER recommend laminate flooring to anyone for any reason. It is so easy to damage....scratches, spills, etc...It sounds funny and hollow when you walk on it...even with good quality underlayment under the flooring. We had nothing with trouble in every house that we installed laminate in. I would recommend the new vinyl plank flooring. It is 100% waterproof, easy to install with just a utility knife, and some of it comes with a lifetime warranty. You can get it in all sorts of patterns including tile and wood styles. Also, you can lay it directly over your subfloor with no problem.

• Melinda Melinda on Nov 12, 2017
    I had 3 bathrooms and a laundry room with vinyl flooring. Pick a quality on like Armstrong. I never had any noises, in fact the very expensive bamboo flooring got squeaks and creaky all over. I just sold this house (9 yrs. old) and building new again and for sure the baths will have vinyl. So easy to clean and looks great after many yrs. Yes quality and good subflooring are required

• Ginny Ginny on Nov 12, 2017
    Just had Armstrong vinyl oak plank flooring installed in TV room. Looks great and not at all like sheet goods but:

• cannot use secretarial chairs or furniture with casters
    • cannot use large area rug or scatter rugs with latex backing to keep floors warmer during winter
    • because of walking disability I cannot use braided rug with an underpadding

Had to get vinyl because of a medical problem I have and needed something that was easy to clean. The salesperson knew this but did not tell me about the above "no nos" or I would not have purchased it. I am pleased with the way it looks but thoroughly disgusted about the things I cannot use in the room.

Don't just ask a salesperson what you can and cannot do with the vinyl flooring, go on line and read what the company says about the do's and don'ts of the product(s). icon

• Rhonda Rhonda on Nov 12, 2017
    make sure to aks when picking out the vinyl so you a better quality or special layer under the vinyl that will help reduce noise. Then get area rugs!

• Rae Rae on Nov 12, 2017
    I just had a laminate flooring installed throughout my basement. It has a cushion back on it and I dearly love it. The big thing is be prepared to pay good money for it. You definatly get what you pay for in this instance

• Mike Mike on Nov 12, 2017
    I have looked at flooring extensively for about 2 weeks. Laminate is junk. Luxury Vinyl planks are the floors for me. I wanted a wood finish in my kitchen. Armstrong and Shaw are [2] of the better floors. After hr's of looking and getting quotes, I ended up at Lowes. The flooring and installation was under $5 a square foot. The floor looks and feels like wood and it is water proof [and] can go over your existing floor if they are in good shape. Good luck.

• Designs by BSB Designs by BSB on Feb 28, 2013
    If I were to choose ? Id choose vinyl. no seams... no tapping sounds, super easy clean.

• LandlightS LandlightS on Mar 01, 2013

A word of caution when using self stick vinyl tiles. After a short period of time, the embossed pattern of the old floor will show through on the new tiles Luxuary Vinyl Tiles can be used over the old vinyl floor with no see through of the old floor. It can be installed over the old floor and is available with a grout line and with out. Also available is a floating engineered wood floor that installs the same as a laminate floor. Good luck with your new floor Gary

• Louise Louise on Dec 11, 2015
    We used Shaw luxury vinyl plank flooring throughout our house due to allergies. It is beautiful, quiet, easy to stand on in the kitchen and not cold like ceramic or porcelain tile. It did not outgas. My husband installed it easily. Be sure the floor is free of debris and definitely use the roll vinyl underlayment.

• Tinyshoes Tinyshoes on Dec 03, 2017
    Just be careful with your choice. Sometimes vinyls can be slippery and you don't want people to fall

• A A on May 28, 2017
    LVT can stand up better to moisture and temps and cleans up nicely.

• My vote is for vinyl over laminate anything. I have laminate and am ripping it out. If you have kids or pets, or spill stuff, vinyl is a better choice. Laminate gets wet it swells and needs to be replaced.

• Eroque022810 Eroque022810 on Feb 17, 2018

We have laminate floors in most of our first floor, so far is in great shape no shrinking. But remember that it's also a thicker piece to deal with which could be why. But so far the first floor is fine so I suggest laminate if you can have or don't want hardwood. Be careful with quality as some scratches easily and I would never recommend the tile that looks like wood because if you drop something that tile might break if you drop on a laminate floor it's like any wood floor it a dent but you don't have to replace. I picked out a laminate floor that has the look of distress so that I wouldn't have to worry about those things, but only go that route knowing that each piece is different and when cut and bumped up to each other you will see the crease since it's pretty distressed.

• Mogie Mogie on Feb 17, 2018
    Pick out a nice vinyl flooring and some glue (get the kind used for this) and install it yourself. If the room is small there wouldn't be any seams. That makes it easy. But vinyl is the way to go. SO much easier to care for and totally water proof.

• My vote is for vinyl flooring over laminate. I had high end laminate floors and it was hands down the worst decision I ever made. I have many pets and visiting children and animals. Laminate does not play well with water. I ripped it all out and installed hardwood flooring. Other areas I intend to improve, I will use vinyl. Takes a beating, easy to maintain and looks great too. Just my experience. Flooring is a highly personal choice.

• Oliva Oliva on Feb 03, 2019

A top quality vinyl flooring will most likely "outlive" a wood laminate. The latter do poorly with liquids, children, pets, dropped items, etc.

• Lizbeth Lizbeth on Feb 04, 2019

Avoid wood laminate IMO. Does not hold up well to things that happen in real life.

• Kothmia Kothmia on Feb 04, 2019

I had vinyl plank in my last apartment, and when we redid the downstairs in my new house, we used it there as well. With two cats and lots of traffic, it holds up VERY well!

• Lani Moore Lani Moore on Feb 04, 2019

LVT. Luxury Vinyl Tile. It's vinyl planks that lay down like hardwood, but glued to the floor. If your underlying floor is concrete, it might need to be ground and smoothed out, but I believe in the glue down stuff. Water does not get underneath, so a household leak is not the end of the world. Each plank can be dug up if damaged, and replaced. "Laminate" is just fake wood. It will swell up and disintegrate with liquids. Not worth it. LVT does not require any special cleaning products. Damp mop. Swiffer. Easy clean, hard to damage.

• Kathy Faile Kathy Faile on Feb 04, 2019

Definitely luxury vinyl flooring is so much better for your back and legs. Easier to clean too.

• Ken Ken on Jan 11, 2018
    Laminate is cheaper and easier to install. Most cannot be refinished. Factory applied finish. Some laminates include special features such as a 50 year warranty or water resistance. Cheap laminates look cheap.

Hardwood is a traditional floor that some, like me, feel adds greater value than a laminate floor. Can be refinished multiple times. Requires special equipment to install. Must be sanded, stained, and finished on site. More expensive installation.

• 2dogal 2dogal on Jan 11, 2018
    Laminate is what it is - wood look vinyl over cheap boards. Real wood is, well, real wood. It is more expensive, but actually needs no more care than laminate. If you have a choice, and want longevity, choose real wood. Laminate is big today because it's easy to install and cheap. I guarantee in a few years, people will be tearing it up and installing something else. Double work, double the expense.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Jan 11, 2018
    Laminate - cheaper and easier to lay and if you get fed up with it you can change. Hardwood - for life - from time to time sand and re-finish.

• Vivian Vivian on Aug 30, 2018

If you are not doing the floor yourself the laminate could cost more because of labor to paste down and lay the floor could extremely expensive. The vinyl plank that you love may cost more but should last longer with heavy traffic. Waterproof and most are scratch resistant unless heavy metal objects are pulled over the floor. It also comes in many colors and there is a tile look also available in click down form. Check with your local Lowe’s or Homedepotforstyles and pricing. Take good measurements with you and make sure you can return any unopened boxes you do not want to keep.

• Let your lifestyle choose for you! Kids, pets, stay away from laminate. I just ripped it out of my house. Wood is an excellent choice, but does require a little bit of upkeep, but in my opinion, not much, and always a classic and if selling in the short term, a plus for sale. Vinyl is fantastic if you have kids and pets, as it is easy to clean, maintain and look great with a minimum of effort. How fussy are you about your floors? Do you want showroom perfect? Or are dings and scratches a sign of love and character? Check warranties and buy the best product you can within your budget.

• Dmotan Dmotan on Jul 02, 2018
    It truly depends on your budget. I have been impressed with the very heavy thick rectangular or square vinyl tiles. They look like wood or ceramic but easier to maintain and not so difficult to stand on in the kitchen. Ceramic tile is very hard on feet and legs.

• Candace Beverly Candace Beverly on Sep 02, 2019

Vinyl is better in wet areas. I sold flooring for 18 yrs. Laminate is wood based and does not perform well in a full bath.

• J Elaine Baker J Elaine Baker on Jan 24, 2017
    I am hearing a great number of laminate users complaining of splitting and bulging at seams in those areas that are humid. Beneath the laminates surface (which is so pretty) is particles and glues ... so water is the ENEMY. Good Luck!

• Michele Pappagallo Michele Pappagallo on May 19, 2017
    Depending on the type of vinyl you are considering, it can be very simple to install. Check out a product called Vinyl Planks. They come in strips (planks) that you simply stick together with small edge strips. They can be cut with a utility knife, and you do not need any other tools. They come in hundreds of different patterns that look like everything from tile to wood. They can be installed over most other flooring, and they are waterproof...which is great in a typical basement.

• Susan Savarese Susan Savarese on May 19, 2017

We put down peel and stick 6" x 48" vinyl planks. They look terrific. Nobody knows they aren't real and they were a breeze to install. You literally cut them when needed with scissors!

• Lea Swenson Lea Swenson on May 21, 2017
    Vinyl planks are very easy. I would recommend using the kind that lock together if your floor is uneven. Sheet vinyl is good on uneven floor but tricky if you are not somewhat experienced. There are loose lay ones that are easier though. Then I would say laminate. Ceramic needs a level floor.

• GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Apr 23, 2021

If you go over it with vinyl I would first do a floor leveling compound over the whole floor. That will fill in any gaps etc. and give you a flat smooth surface to place you vinyl on. I think that would probably be your least expensive way to go :)

• Seth Seth on Sep 20, 2018

Where is it going and what will the traffic level be? Both have advantages. Vinyl for wet areas and wearability. Laminate for it's better looks. Install is similar for both. It depends more on the interlocking system a particular manufacturer uses.