Sharon J
Sharon J
  • Danville, CA
Asked on Jan 19, 2012

curtain rod on fiberglass door

WallsTreat Studio/ Kass WilsonDan's of Central Florida, Inc.KMS Woodworks
+9

Just had an exterior glass/fiberglass door installed. Are there special considerations when I go to install an interior curtain rod at the top for a curtain panel??
  • If it is a shower that is used often, you will want to make sure that you use water repellant fabric or a vinyl liner. Here is an article that I wrote about creative shower curtain ideas. Hope this helps. http://www.networx.com/article/diy-shower-curtain-ideas

• 3po3

Just be careful not to drill your pilot holes too far or to overtighten your screws. A good trick I have seen is to use some type of colored tape around your drill, leaving only an inch or so exposed, so you don't drill too far.

• Really good point, Steve. If you are using a fixed rod VS a tension rod, do you need to worry about the screws hitting any pipes behind the drywall?

• Hmm, I get the impression Sharon is talking about an exterior door to the house, not anything in the bathroom or otherwise. Sharon, you should be fine to just attach it. Like Steve mentioned, drill pilot holes for the screws and make them just a tiny bit smaller than the scew itself. Don't put these holes right next to the glass, give it a few inches to make sure you do not drill into the glass itself.

• Sharon J

Dan.....you are spot on re: exterior door. Thanks for the info !!!!!! S

• Old, blonde and easily confused!!!! I thought you were talking about a SHOWER door!!! LOLOLOLOL. . . . never mind.

• KMS Woodworks

Kass...I was wondering If you had been smelling too much thinner or something...Glad to see my fellow Hometalkers stepped in to clarifiy

• No problem there Sharon. LOL @ KMS!

• KMS and Dan, No paint fumes here . . . only LOW or NO VOCs in my water base products. But if I lived near KMS I could blame it on the altitude ?!?!?

• KMS Woodworks

Its not so much the altitude as the cold We have a saying in my backcountry ski group...A cold brain is a numb brain and a numb brain is a dumb brain...this is somewhat based in the science of hypothermia...as the bodies core demands more heat the extremities suffer...the head being one of them.

• Hmm, I live in Florida, what do I get to blame my dumb brain on?