What types of perennials (other than herbs) work well in containers?

+23
I am looking for the best type of container perennials.
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Mar 17, 2016
    The first suggestion is find out what your zone is. Next it will depend on what light you have sun shade or both.Lastly make sure your pots have drainage and the plants you choose will have enough room for the root structure.
    • See 1 previous
    • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Mar 18, 2016
      @Vallery Dietrich Here you go. www.gardenguides.com/88237-flowers-plant-zone-5b.html
  • Cindy Platt Hanlon Cindy Platt Hanlon on Mar 17, 2016
    I've seen roses done in large pot and they look so pretty
  • Paula Plander Paula Plander on Mar 17, 2016
    I have Hosta in some.
  • Ste4142126 Ste4142126 on Mar 18, 2016
    geraniums or lavender
  • Electa vonhoff Electa vonhoff on Mar 18, 2016
    peonies, pansies (yes they can come back year after year) primeroses, roses, daisies, succulants, daffodils, tulips, the list is endless. nearly any flower can be grown in pots if you take time to resaerch your favorites. ive even seen big plants, lilac, hydrangea, fushia, etc, in pots
  • Barbara C Barbara C on Mar 18, 2016
    Geraniums and Pansies are not perennials.Check plant tags or get advice from local nursery for your area.
  • Merry Beninato Merry Beninato on Mar 18, 2016
    I grow Amaryllis in pots ( zone 6) . They are outdoors all summer, providing nice green foliage. Then I bring them in before frost, they go dormant, and in the spring I get gorgeous flowers. The bulbs get bigger every year.
  • Kathleen Kathleen on Mar 18, 2016
    I rescued Tiger Lilies last year and stuck them in a big pot until I was able to create a space for them this year. I've had them in the garage over the winter and funny as this sounds they have been growing all winter. No flowers of course but lots of green
  • Vallery Dietrich Vallery Dietrich on Mar 18, 2016
    Typed in my question, and soon got 3 great responses!! Thank you Hometalk.
  • Patti @Hearth and Vine Patti @Hearth and Vine on Mar 18, 2016
    I planted small hosta in my posts last year.
  • Judy Ackerman Judy Ackerman on Mar 18, 2016
    Impatiens do really well in pots as a indoor plant. I had mine for over 3 years. Just need some filtered sunlight and water.
  • Bre2970996 Bre2970996 on Mar 18, 2016
    Hostas do fantastic. I cut them back when it gets cold, put pots in the shed & bring them back out in the Spring. Same ones last for years.
  • Bre2970996 Bre2970996 on Mar 18, 2016
    I actually put most any perennial in pots. Sometimes I just split some from the garden & use as fillers with annuals.
    Mine didn't because they never died back.
  • Cj Jones Cj Jones on Mar 18, 2016
    Any kind of bulbs work well and you don't have to worry about the worms or bugs eating the bulbs later on.
  • Wendy Burns-Sheets Wendy Burns-Sheets on Mar 18, 2016
    I've planted calla lilies, tulips and daffodils. I brought the calla lily bulbs in for the winter.
  • Jennie Lee Jennie Lee on Mar 18, 2016
    How about perennial chrysanthemums?
  • Vallery Dietrich Vallery Dietrich on Mar 19, 2016
    Thank you for all the great suggestions!!
  • Ste4142126 Ste4142126 on Mar 19, 2016
    http://homeguides.sfgate.com/different-kinds-geraniums-61303.html this web site should help you with your climate zones and choice of geraniums they are such a great show of colour. Best Wishes
  • Judy Ackerman Judy Ackerman on Mar 20, 2016
    I forgot about geraniums, they are really long living. I had one that was 17 years old. It was just one I bought from the store in the spring and then brought it in for the winter and put it in a South window and then back outside in the spring. It got about four feet tall as I had it in a very large floor pot.