Asked on Mar 19, 2016

Cleaning stainless steel sink with Cascade....

Ronda ScottKristi KLynda Dexter
+18

I wanted to deep clean my stainless steel sink. A friend told me he took Cascade dishwasher detergent and rubbed it in, let it dry and his sink sparkled. I did the same thing to mine and now I can't get the Cascade out of my sink... It looked better dingy. Can anyone suggest something to get this out????
This is what my sister k looks like after a week of scrubbing
  • Dfm

hot hot water.....boiling to dissolve the powdery residue. block drain, fill sink. use long handled scrub brush to help scrub sink. release drain when cool, and flush with lots of water. had this issue with a diy dishwasher detergent mix. every thing crusted in white film.

• Sue@CountryDesignHome

Yikes- that's not good! I happened to be cleaning my stainless sink yesterday and was having a tough time getting the white powdery grit off from the cleaner I used. One of those Mr Clean Eraser sponges did the trick! Wiped everything off, took off all the residue and left a clean, shiny surface! Good luck!

• Ranger

Into a 1.25lt spray bottle, mix 2 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda and 1 pint of warm water - stir to dissolve the bicarb. Add 4 fluid ounces (125ml) of white vinegar (this will froth slightly). Shake well and use to clean your sink. Don't let it stay on more than 30 seconds or so - spray and wipe with a damp cloth, then run tap to rinse. This is my sure-fire household general cleaner. Bathroom, toilets, shower, taps, oventop, benchtops, fridge (inside and out), door panelling - whatever, I use this natural cleaner. Good luck for your sink.

Put white vinegar and baking soda mixed with water in a spray bottle. Leave on long enough for this to lift the residue and rinse off.

• Ellen

My sister-in-law used to scrub her sink with silver polish as a cleaner. After many years of doing this a few times a week, her sink looks like a piece of jewelry!

• Monica Talley

I would rinse with hot water. Then wipe down with white vinegar. Then dry with soft cloth. Wipe the surface with olive oil. Buff dry.

• Kelley MacKay

my favorite stainless cleaner is Cameo

• KKAbsherwrites

Bar keeper's Friend if the baking soda and vinegar does not work.

• Dale

Tri-Sodium-Phosphate (TSP) if the vinegar-baking soda doesn't work.

• Pat Fenerty

Your container says it's also for stainless steel. I would give Cascade a call, they'll get the answer for you that you need before doing further damage. In the meantime, I would just wash off the excess with hot water and wipe it.

• Jack

Here's what she did: http://thethriftycouple.com/2014/07/30/how-to-clean-a-stainless-steel-sink-and-make-it-shine-simple-3-step-solution-with-ingredients-found-around-your-home/ VinegarBaking SodaDish soapScrubbing tools like toothbrush, scrubby pads/sponges and steel wool

• Cindy

The best thing to use is Bar Keepers Friend it comes in a can, in a powder form like comet. You will be surprised at how shiny and clean your stainless steel sink will be. I promise you.

• Lynda Dexter

I have used the same method to deep clean my sink and never had any kind of problem. Maybe it is not the method used but the finish on your sink. I am sorry I could not help but the ideas listed above all sound like good things to try.

• Kristi K

You might try cutting a fresh lemon in half and rubbing it all over the sink. The citrus should help cut through the "grime". And I just came across this Hometalk post. Don't know if it would work but certainly worth a try ..... http://www.hometalk.com/6955053/cleaning-with-used-cling-sheets

• Ronda Scott

I have always used WD-30 to make my stainless sparkle. It works very easily and not a whole lot of scrubbing.