Linda Meyer-Kelly
Linda Meyer-Kelly
  • Florence, OR
Asked on Jun 5, 2013

How do I make this, no assembly instructions!!!

Melissa WLinda Meyer-KellyCarolynm
+26

The items needed for this firefly project are an old table leg, and 4 fan blades, BUT there are no instructions how to assemble it! Does anyone know how to go about securing the blades on the back of this table leg!!!! HELP, my daughter is begging me to make it!!!!
q how do i make this no assembly instructions, crafts, repurposing upcycling
  • Cyndi

hope this helps, the directions are brief but easy to follow, basically decorate as you would like but you need some small pieces of wood to level everything up and to screw everything together, and attach a hanger

• Melanie N

OMG, I love thi...and I just found an old table leg - one (what was I gonna do with one??) - up in the basement rafters...and know there are extra fan blades in the closet! Thanks!!

• Linda Meyer-Kelly

I Know, isn't this cool!! Are the wings decupage? (sp)!! I just got back from trash pickin, I am looking for junk ceiling fans!

• Linda Meyer-Kelly

THANK YOU CYNDI!!!! YOU ROCK!!! Follow the link from Cyndi, INSTRUCTIONS!!!!

• Miriam I

Tagging @Tammy@Deja Vue Designs - she knows how to make them and may even have a tutorial...

• Tammy@Deja Vue Designs

I do have a tutorial....give me about 45 min...and I'll get you the link

• Tammy@Deja Vue Designs

Here is the link to my hometalk post on making these....you will need to click over to my website for further instructions! Thanks @Miriam I ! http://www.hometalk.com/173507/tutorial-on-my-dragonflies-and-lace-painting-technique

• Linda Meyer-Kelly

Thank you for all the input!! Tammy@Deja Vue, tutorial, = BIG SMILES FROM MY DAUGHTER!!! =)

• Wendy M

Love this! Thanks for sharing.

• Ddiane D

when looking for a table with legs like that, I wouldn't know where to start. I like the table legs on this particular dragonfly

• Linda Meyer-Kelly

I went around the neighborhoods around me the night before trash pick up, and I found a couple old chair's, tables, but no luck on ceiling fan's! Also, check ur local second hand store's (salvation army, goodwill etc.) often they get donations that are broken, and cannot be salvaged, they are more than happy to give them to someone instead of throwing them out!

• Ddiane D

Thanks so much for the help

• Linda Meyer-Kelly

Anytime!

• Terri Ball

I too have been drawn to these whimsical butterflies. I have found 2 short tuts.... now only need supplies.....Here is what I have found: http://www.lucydesignsonline.com/2012/02/yesmore-dragonflies.html http://recreatedesigncompany.com/dragonflies-and-butterflies/ Hope this helps, Good luck

• Terri Ball

Just had a brain spurt.....I wonder if any of the stores (big box, homegood, lumber, etc) have damaged units. Could maybe get a deal on just the blades since they usually just write off the whole unit. By the way, Home Depot and Lowes both sell just fan blades

• Linda Meyer-Kelly

Terry! You are THE MASTER!!!! Everyone, Terry Ball found the original designer of this beautiful Dragon Fly, just follow her link http;//www.lucydesignsonline.com/dragonflies!! There are so many to choose from, I am in my glory!!!! Terry Thank you!

• Teri

I just made one today and posted it on my hometalk page. You can see how I ended up making one.

• Colette

I found instructions for this using ceiling fan panels at http://www.lucydesignsonline.com/2011/07/more-table-leg-dragonflies.html

• Frankie Laney

You know, it would be pretty easy to hang these. Just use some invisible wire, I think it would be fun hanging from the tree....and you could make smaller ones. Oh no, I see where I'm going with this. On the hunt now for supplies!!! Of course, I would be taking down in really bad or windy weather.

• Belle

that might be finial posts too...threaded together. Be creative!

• Junkgypsee

You'll need a drill and a starter hole for the drill bit. I would use two, 2" to 3" bolts in each fan blade.(Depends on the depth of your table leg.) Make a mark on the post and the blades to line them up. You'll have to make starter holes in both before using a drill. OK..now you're ready to put the bolts in. Use the bit size, one size smaller than your bolt and drill 8 holes in the wood and the blades. Now, you can get your bolts, one per blade..do not completely tighten yet...You'll need them to be a bit flexible. Now, start with the next four, going from one to another until you have all of them in. When you have the blades exactly where you want them, it's the time to tighten the blades. That's it!! Good luck to you.

• Freda Fleming

Check your area for Habitat for Humanity ReStores, they usually have fan blades they sell for a dollar or so.

• Linda Meyer-Kelly

Junkgypsee, THANK YOU!!! FINALLY!! =)

• Francine C

Try using Spyder Wire fishing line! It is very strong and very hard to break and very thin. The craft stores are too expensive, just go to the fishing department at Walmart. (I thought that the body of the dragon fly was lug nuts). LOL.

• Carolynm

Habitat for Humanity ReStores sell used blades for just a few dollars, I got 10 used blades for $4.00. Lowes and other home stores sell the table legs. We used screws into the holes left from taking off the hangers that were on the blades. I am just now working on painting my blades and legs, but plan to post them in a few days.

• Linda Meyer-Kelly

Cannot wait to see your creation!!!

• Melissa W

Like this??

• Ellen

Melissa, I LOVE IT! I love the ornamental hardware and the colors you used. Gorgeous!!