How to replace small sections of unknown laminate?

Jean MylesMarySally-Charles Evans
+6

We bought a house a couple of years ago and are slowly renovating the whole place. We opened the master bedroom closet from bi-fold doors to sliding doors since its only a reach in closet. Unfortunately this means we now have a section on either side approx 1 laminate piece wide x 8" lg. We don't know what brand or type of laminate the previous homeowners used, and we only need a very small piece for each side. So far no luck at Habitat for Humanity Restore or any local hardware stores. Any suggestions for where I could source something this small but important are appreciated!!!
  • Jean Myles
    Jean Myles

Idon't understand why there is laminate on each side. Could you give more detail or a picture.

• MN Mom
    MN Mom

If I'm visualizing this, your closet had bi-fold doors which didn't allow full access to the closet. Now that you've replaced them with sliders, the part that wasn't accessible on each side now is but the flooring isn't complete. Is there another closet that has the same flooring? If you can take the flooring out of another closet to patch this one, you could do that. Or, you could purchase some new flooring for the updated closet area. Smaller areas can be updated nicely with a higher end/more expensive product that can possibly be purchased at a clearance price.

William

Have you tried Home Depot or Lowes! You may find something that closely matches to what you have.

• The1392993
    The1392993

I wouldn't try to match it. Even if you find the same pattern the new will always stand out. Maybe find something that coordinates and create a border. You may have to remove some additional tiles to complete the look. Good luck.

• I would like to know too!

• Sally-Charles Evans
    Sally-Charles Evans

How about a threshold ?? They sell them in different widths.......

• Mary
    Mary

I have seen where people would divide spaces of wood flooring by putting tile in the doorway. They may use the same flooring in every room, but in the threshold they lay a couple inch strip of tile, so it sets off the next room, adds interest and breaks up the flooring. Not explaining it very well, but I hope you can envision it!

• Jean Myles
    Jean Myles

Akstockton I feel so foolish for some reason I had the idea that the laminate you were talking about was on the wall. Thats a real Duh moment for sure. LOL I think MNMOM has the right idea.