How can I seal old chipped wood?

+10
I have a few amazing pieces that are old and the paint is chipping. I love them just the way they are but hate the flakes that constantly come off! What to do so it's not a mess but doesn't mess with the look? I'm not worried about value. Here's a picture of one.
q how can i seal old chipped wood
  • E s desanna E s desanna on Jul 02, 2017
    I 'd like to know this, too. I have screen frames in my kitchen that are original to my 1940's house. I'd like to keep the flake-y look, but halt the progression.

• Rlh5819414 Rlh5819414 on Jul 02, 2017
    I have read that spraying with shellac will stop the flaking. I have not tried this yet.

• C. D. Scallan C. D. Scallan on Jul 02, 2017
    Spray Rustolium clear coat sealant on them . I'd use more than one coat to ensure proper coverage .

• A A on Jul 02, 2017
    A matte finish spray fixative will be the least visible, but you will need to re-spray eventually.

• Kris Kris on Jul 02, 2017
    Sand paper and stain or outdoor paint should do the trick...

• Kristil Albof Kristil Albof on Jul 02, 2017
    Yes use a clear coat matte spray . You might also want to kind of rub off the really REALLY chippy pieces a bit first before you spray. Let dry thoroughly then spray again for extra protection. Assuming you plan on keeping it in the house or out of the elements on a covered porch... 😊

• Questar Questar on Jul 02, 2017
    Krylon Clear Acrylic spray is a possibility - might want to contact them first.

• MrsSherri MrsSherri on Jul 02, 2017
    I saw on "Flee Market Flip" that you make a solution of three to one wood glue & water. Use a high quality brush and paint it on. It will save the pealing paint, an not expose you to the lead paint.

• Karla McClary Robinson Karla McClary Robinson on Jul 02, 2017
    Any easy way is to dilute wood glue with water to a spreadable consistency then apply it using a paint brush. This stops the flaking and seals it!

• Kelly Blackwood Kelly Blackwood on Jul 02, 2017
    be very careful because the old paint most likely contains lead and it only takes a very small amount of lead to poison a child which can have long lasting effects.

• Cas2847423 Cas2847423 on Jul 02, 2017

I "seal" items that are going to be out of the weather with Mod podge.