Laurie P
Laurie P
  • Holiday, FL

I am looking for some fragrant flowers pretty and colorful that bloom most of the year, I live in Florida,

DaleLeslieDebbie E
+11

I don't have much room so I don't want anything real big, I am also looking to do a veritical garden what do I use? any expertise is greatly appreciated!!!
  • 3po3

I don't know enough about Florida flora (except that I know you will have better luck with year-round flowers than I will in northern Colorado), but here are a couple of vertical garden ideas: http://www.hometalk.com/173270/vertical-garden-made-from-old-pool-deck-steps http://www.hometalk.com/172547/diy-vertical-succulent-planter

• Jeanette S

One way for vertical gardening is to use hanging baskets on sheperd's poles. You can get these in variouis heights and designs and they can be moved and rearranged for change. Your initial outlay is minimum and they last forever! Also, a great planting idea--plant decorative vines around the edge of pot (they come in a variety greens) and then a bright flower in the center. Varigated English ivy with pink caladium are STUNNING! One big advantage is it is contained and takes little tending.

Laurie, most plants that I can think of that are fragrant have some size to them and are not really suited to a vertical gardening, and, other than some roses, don't come close to blooming all year. One that you might want to consider is sweet alyssum. It will bloom pretty much forever here and, while the fragrance is delicate, it would be more noticeable in a vertical garden, where it would be much closer to your nose than it usually is. It's commonly found in white, but is available in pastel shades of violet, rose and blue. And it's inexpensive, so feel to experiment!

• Barb A

Lantana smells so good. Would work vertically as it is a trailer. Mine blooms all year ( zone 9)

• Nancy Rhodes C

I have never seen anything like this. Is the big "sculpture" by the roadside a huge tree root that was uprooted? I am wondering about how long it took for these remains to look this way. Thanks for sharing.

Nancy, I think you meant to post your comment under another post.

• Nancy Rhodes C

OMG!!! Thanks Douglas. Hahahahaha.

• Debbie E

I have jasmine growing and I am on the space coast, all I can say is I hope you love the smell if you are my neighbor :) Easy to trim to any height you want.

I hear you, Debbie! I am in Italy right now and the other day I walked past a long wall that was solid with jasmine blooms. It nearly knocked me over and I sneezed for the next 10 minutes!

• Sandra R

Italy, send pictures!

• Debbie E

Not funny, I was talking about fragrance lol, the neighborhood is filled with the wonderful fragrance. The confederate takes up much more room, rather woody, but the jasmine shrub is very easy. Hope your stay in Italy is fantastic!

• Leslie

Some pansies and wallflowers are fragrant too and might work well :)

• Leslie

dianthus, scented geraniums, lavender, as well as other scented herbs....then you can use them for cooking too :)

• Dale

For anyone: call your local gov't. Home Economist & ask for the Master Gardener. They can have suggestions for your local area.