Susan Y
Susan Y
  • Dearborn, MI
Asked on Jun 2, 2012

I have a red brick house, will get colonial slate roof soon. Currently the old door is dark mustard. Color of new door

SnapoutofitBarbaraMarion Nesbitt
+26

my house
my house
  • Miriam I

Hi Susan, it looks like your post got cut off. Did you have a question?

• Sandra R

I would do a bright red or blue to match the shutters

• 3po3

If you are asking for a color for the door, I agree with Sandra. A classic red door would look great with your plants, brick and shutters.

• Peace Painting Co., Inc.

It's nice when the front door is a color different than any thing else on the house, to draw your eye to where you are to go when you come up. With the house being pretty dark already, I think a nice bright color would do. CP

• Susan Y

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas. What kind of bright color ?

• I would remove the shutters and paint them a bright white. The dark brick along with the dark roof does not make the house pop to the eye. The blue in my opinion, (and this is from someone who cannot match white socks) Just seems to dark. I would also power wash the brick to bring back its color. It appears to be darker due to age.but a good and properly done power wash, will bring back the colors again. Plant some bright color plants also in front. Do not just go with the standard square garden also. With all the squareness on windows, doors, brick shapes, you need to smooth and soften the front. A wavy shaped garden will help a lot. Perhaps a small tree as well?

• Jeanette S

I agree...the shutters are too dark and should be painted white and the house should be pressure washed. Once you have this done, then pick a color for the door in the red to red-orange color. If you are not one big on gardening, a couple of large planters (pots at least 18" dia) should be placed on each side of the walk just in front of the blooming bushes (which appear to be spring bloomers and wil be non-blooming soon). Be sure to trim back the bushes to get them off the sidewalk and back a little for a pot. It is easy to walk from the kitchen out the front door to frequently water a couple of pots. It will make a BIG difference.

• Vicki T

I like the black shutters idea but am prone to a muted red door :) but that's just me ...

• Therese C

The house cries out to be noticed. I would suggest soft gray shutters and a vibrant red door. Just a thought, but maybe remove the bushes and replace with flowers that will bloom bright against the brick? There are so many options that will work. The best way to decide (for me anyway) is to drive down my street, clear my mind, and drive by my home from a strangers point of view and see what looks like it's missing. You know, like when you drive by someone's home and think, " If they would just put...their house would look incredible!"....that kind of thing works really well.

• I just wanted to know how Sheila got over there at night and did all the painting without anyone knowing about it. lol

• Dee W

You should ask your mailman-he probably looks at it as much as you do and probably has an idea or two. lol

• Susan Y

Like your idea of black shutters. I do not know if I could go that bold of a color on the door. I have removed all the bushes and have small evergreens. This is an old picture of the house since I did the new landscaping. The grass is some kind of grass that needs little water, grow slowly, and takes awhile to green up in the spring. Thanks for your ideas.

• Susan Y

Also if you want to come over and paint ninja painter you are welcome !!!!! lol

• Wonder if she ninja sides. I am changing my siding this week. Would love to come out in morning and see it all done! hint hint.

• My cash to do the siding appears to be virtual as well. lol

• Jan C

I agree with others, I'd curve beds from the front of the house down to the sidewalk with a wave on both sides and plant some flowers and low shrubs to negate all the straight lines. It would soften everything and give color as well. I love the black shutters and teal door color combo. Very pretty. Post finished pics!

• Towanda F

Chocolate would look great with a brush nickel kickplate, knocker, and door locks. How do I know.....that's the color of mine and it's gorgeous!

• Susan Y

Thanks for all your ideas......I like home talk. I am estimates for my roof right now. Have 2 for about 6 grand and one for 7.6 grand. Checked out companies, all seem pretty good.....All I know is $$$$$$. But Ihave to take care of my little house. Its in good city, neighborhood, schools and its paid for!

• Why would you put on slate? There are many high quality asphalt roofs that will last 50 plus years and not cost as much and look almost the same. Have you looked into those? You may be putting way to much value into the roof and even if you did decide to move you would never get your money back. Besides Slate roofs require yearly service. And that is something you do not want to have as you get older. Slate these days is nothing like the slate mined many years ago and its simply not worth the cost or expense.

• Therese C

I was also curious as to why you are going slate. There are really good looking asphalt shingles on the market that look fantastic and last for a very long time. We had slate and I was not impressed with how poorly they held up. If it is just a personal desire than by all means follow your heart, but if it is for durability, I do not think anyone would be happy with slate.

• Susan Y

Certainteed colonial slate color shingles dimentional.

• Susan Y

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas. The landscaping has been replaced with evergreens (small)

• Susan Y

That gabled entry would be nice if I had $$$$ but I have to get a new roof because the last owners did it themselves and did not do a good job.

• Sherrie S

Susan Y, your home needs trees/plants and some with color. At least one tree and then some plants. That will make a big difference in the look of the entire yard. After that you can think about the door.

• BARBARA R

Paint the Brick White Washed with a hint of the old brick shining through. Or paint the shutters and door on the house a nice shade of deep green or brown a shade close to nature colors..And plant some trees,bushes,and flowers in the yard.Maybe a small water fall and a white fence to make everyone feel welcomed when they walk up to your home.If you own your home,please do make it your own.Make it be a reflection of your personality.

• PattyV

I think the white against the brick is really stark I suggest either painting all white a tan color (something with same hues as brick), paint the shutters black/charcoal and then paint the door a dark sage green. I would add window boxes with all white hanging plants and greenery. Stain the concrete and line the pathway with brick to tie into the exterior brick.

• Marion Nesbitt

Think black for shutters is too much contast. I'd go more light gray. I'd do the door a turquoise-green so the eye is drawn there. I see a tree on the far left. I'd also curve out the beds so they come right down part of the sidewalk to soften the strong horizontal lines of the house.

• Barbara

For me, paint color is such a personal thing. I love your house (except for the front door color, I'm with you there). I love the way brick softens as it ages and I wouldn't touch the brick at all. I love the slate you've chosen for your roofing and with that in mind, I'd paint the shutters and the front door a soft cadet blue. I do agree that plants and shrubs would give the home 'curb appeal' but I'd be careful about trees. Our entire property is surrounded by trees and while I love the fresh apricots in late spring and the avocado's in summer and the oranges in early fall, it does tend to darken the interior of the home. Tree roots can also be invasive to your plumbing and we have a problem now with ficus tree roots 'lifting' some of our patio cement, so plant well away from the home to avoid some of these issues. I love the idea of a gabled entry as the budget allows. Personally I'd avoid bright white for the entry door, but the white shutters would also look nice. I've never cared for the blaring red front door and if you go too dark, the door will blend with the brick.

• Snapoutofit

Color of Door: Paint it Black or Red