Asked on Aug 12, 2016

Deodorant stains in HE washer

PattyMary Rolek-CombsSusan Kring Marshall
+18

Hi: I have an LG front load HE washer. It is not getting my son's Tshirts clean. There are deodorant stains under the arms and they even smell like the deodorant - yuk! I am using Arm & Hammer liquid detergent, washing on cold (usually, although sometimes warm) with the regular water level. Anyone have any ideas? Change detergent? Use "extra water"? Pre-treat? I never had a problem before with an older top loader.
    Janet Pizaro

There may be residue in the washing machine. Maybe this post will help you. www.hometalk.com/753028/cleaning-your-he-wash...

• Julies1949
    Julies1949

I swear by these bars. My MIL told me about this when I was having the same problems with nursing uniforms. http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/I...

• Kathryn Peltier
      Kathryn Peltier

Those look like a great idea! I'm not sure I can get them in the States off of that website, but I am going to search. If push comes to shove, I can drive over to Windsor (I live in metro Detroit :-) Thank you!

• Trudy
    Trudy

I doubt it is the machine. Be gld he cares enough to use deodorant ;-) Search ideas for pre-treating.

• Shirley Harlan
    Shirley Harlan

I would try using a homemade powder soap along with a homemade bleach. I had those problems along with ring around the color since making my own homemade soap and soaking for about 30 mins to an hour I now have fresher looking clothes both his t-shirts and undershirts. I have also started making my own softener I found that the residue from commercial soaps and softeners it mostly what colors the clothes. also this combo seems to remove all the residue built up in the washer and dryer. I hope this helps. Here is where I got my recipe for the soap http://www.kathilipp.com/2013/02/1-simple-thi...

• Judy Ackerman
    Judy Ackerman

Bleach and cotton do NOT like one another! Bleach will turn white t-shirts yellow. I use a heaping tablespoon of baking soda in each wash load. My clothes come out some much cleaner and brighter. Especially my white items. It will take a few washing but you will begin to see a difference. Also your dryer could be part of the problem. Hot heat is really had on material, especially cotton. Line dry whenever possible. Or put on a clothes hanger and hang to dry.

• Kathryn Peltier
    Kathryn Peltier

Hi Judy: I have just started using washing soda, but it isn't doing any good for this problem. These are not white undershirts - they're just various T shirts in different color. He goes through way too many clothes for me to line dry them, but I don't think the dryer is the problem. They come out of the washer still smelling like deodorant. Maybe I could try making a paste of baking soda and pre-treating them that way???

• Trixie63
    Trixie63

I was having the exact same problem with my husbands shirts. I took some peroxide and baking soda and made a paste. A couple teaspoons of each. I put this on the arm pits, scrubbed like crazy with my laundry brush and let it sit for a couple hours. I then washed in hot water and dried til damp hanging the t-shirts to dry. Some came out great. Others I had to do this a couple times. Now the underarms are clean and soft.

• Trixie63
    Trixie63

Sorry, I forgot the dish detergent. I only use dawn http://www.whowhatwear.com/how-to-remove-yell...

• Susan Kring Marshall
    Susan Kring Marshall

I Have a front load LG also. My husbands shirts also had the pit stains. I pretreated with oxi clean stain stick inside I use an old tooth brush to work the gel into stains on both sides, throw it in the washer. When I have bad stains I wash with Hot/ cold and I do a prewash also. I use ERA liquid detergent. Gets the stains out for me. (some of his shirts had been stained for several washes before I tried this and even after being dried in they came out.)

• Kathryn Peltier
      Kathryn Peltier

Thank You Susan Kring Marshall! I will try the oxi clean stain stick. If this works for me, it would be easier than leaving the homemade stuff on for an hour. I would have to be more organized to do that lol!

• Susan Kring Marshall
    Susan Kring Marshall

Your welcome hope it works for you

• Mary Rolek-Combs
    Mary Rolek-Combs

The Over use of deodorant can cause the yellowing. Oxy clean or Wisk and scrub with a toothbrush.... THe Oxy clean color bleach does a good job too.

• Vanessa Mitchell
      Vanessa Mitchell

I’m having the same problem on my scrub tops, actually on the outside of the armpits which is weird it will rub right off so I know it’s not stained, just not getting cleaned! I’m searching for solution myself!

• Patty
    Patty

I love my LG front loader and never had a problem with getting clothes clean. Use white vinegar and baking soda on armpit stains, you may need to scrub with a toothbrush. On whites, use hot water. It will not hurt to do one or two loads in hot each week. If all else fails, switch his deodorant.