Rhonda Fox Jones
Rhonda Fox Jones
  • Augusta, GA
Asked on Aug 30, 2016

Removing dark rings from wooden tables

Lyn10306257SheliaJanet Pizaro
+4

I have a dark ring, the size that a glass would leave, on my light oak antique table. I do not know what it was. I used to have a cleaning lady who was sloppy with cleaning products (she ruined another table). I don't know what substance came from the round object that sat on that table but how can I fade it or remove it from my table?
q need to remove dark ring on antique oak table, cleaning tips, furniture cleaning
  • Greg Harris

Have someone lightly sand the suface with a fine sander then restain it

• Bob Gaddis

Rub the stain with a paste of oxalic acid and water. Follow with baking soda to neutralize the oxalic.

• Rhonda Fox Jones

Your suggestion sounds like the best other than sanding and clear finish again. I would like to milk paint it but not yet. I have to use a runner or place mat to cover the stain, otherwise, I prefer a clean table w/no frufru other than centerpiece. So thx. Can I make oxalic or just ask for it or is there a name brand that has oxalic in it?

• Polly Zieper

I read somewhere on HT to polish it with olive oil. look it up here and you might get the details. good luck.

Try rubbing oil,mayo,peanut butter or plain toothpaste.on the spot and leave on overnight. Wipe off with a soft cloth.

• Shelia

There's a post on here that said put a towel over it, then a hot iron for a minute or two, and it will bring it out. May have to do it more than once.

• Lyn10306257

Hi, I removed water marks from my cherry table with a soft cloth and a little mayonnaise.