How do you unclog a kitchen sink?

+4
How do you unstop a kitchen sink?
  • Shirley morris Shirley morris on Dec 14, 2016
    Find a product called Thrift. It works!!!
  • William William on Dec 14, 2016
    Remove any standing water from the sink. Pour about half a box of baking soda down the drain, then pour some vinegar down the drain. Immediately cover the drain with a cloth. The foaming action of the baking soda should force the clog through. If the drain remains clogged, you may need to remove the P Trap and see if that is clogged with debri. Otherwise the clog is further down the line and would need to be rodded through. You can purchase a small drain snake at Home Depot, Ace Hardware, Walmart, Lowes, etc.
    • Toby Morris Toby Morris on Dec 18, 2016
      Ditto what you said. Baking soda, vinegar, and hot water are life savers for me. I do it in bathtub, kitchen sink, and toilet.
  • Syb8373628 Syb8373628 on Dec 14, 2016
    Thank you so much!
    • Gloria Gloria on Dec 29, 2016
      Egg shells are wonderful for clogged sinks I use them every now and then
  • Betsy Betsy on Dec 22, 2016
    First of all, I would remove the trap, that U thing under the sink. It unscrews on one end. Be sure to keep the rubber washers. If that's clogged and you don't clean it out and try to send the clog further down the drain, you are just asking for trouble in the future. Put a pot under the U trap to collect any ick that's in there and drains out. You may have to get a new washer or 2, and by keeping the old ones you will know exactly what type you need. Don't let them talk you into the 'top hat' type if yours are flat! If you are unsure how to do this, haul yourself over to your local Home Depot or Lowes or whatever you have wherever you are and ask someone at the plumbing desk or area. They are usually well versed in these problems and very eager to help. Home Depot is my favourite place to go for help, and they have helped me out a ton of times.
  • Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Dec 24, 2016
    Williams advice is spot on. If the snake doesn't work the clog may be further down than the snake can reach. In that case you need a pro with one of the longer snakes that can reach all the way down. Been there, done that. The baking soda and vinegar followed by boiling water will also keep your pipes clean if you do it occasionally to prevent another clog. Our plumber friend also suggested running water for 2 minutes if you put anything down the sink that could start buildup. I do this now when I run disposal. Also do the vinegar, baking soda and boiling water about every two weeks and my pipes look like you can eat off them. I wait a little while before putting the boiling water down to make sure the foaming has done its job.