Asked on Dec 30, 2016

What is this blue powder?

MelbaPaulaD Lakes
+35

So, I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion as to what this might be. We have owned this house for 3 years and did not have this problem until about 2 years ago. I have asked a cabinetry guy that I work with and he didn't have any answers. This blue powder keeps coming from our baseboards in the kitchen.
  • Haysha S.

That's so interesting. I've never seen anything like it.

did you remodel the kitchen?
    • Lynn Kramer

No, we didn't do any remodeling. The previous owner may have. I thought maybe it was chalk line but it is in random places.
  • Donna

I would check with your local County Extension Office to check what it is. There is a possibility it is a pesticide treatment an exterminator sprayed back there that the motion of daily life is causing to release in a powdered form.
  • Jackie Adams

It's got to be a pest if some sort. I would start with a professional evaluation. Good luck!
    • Lynn Kramer

I read about powder post beetles, but I can't figure out why it would be blue since nothing in our kitchen is blue. It's so strange.

Regular boric acid powder (sold under dozens of brand names such as Roach Prufe, Borid, etc.) is to be used in cracks, crevices and voids. In other words, in places where target pests hide, forage or enter a structure but not in an area where people, pets and wildlife will encounter the material. Contrary to popular belief, this type of boric acid insecticide should not be broadcast around baseboards or in cabinets - restrict the use of this product to hidden areas only.
    You often see boric acid that is colored blue. This is only a boric acid insecticide dust with blue food coloring. The color of the boric acid has nothing to do with the strength or pesticide action of the material. Boric acid is also used in baits used to eliminate ants, roaches, crickets and silverfish.
  • Nancy landers

It could possibly be a type of mold. I know there are some strange colors of it
  • Arleta

Like to know the results...
  • Shirley Miller

Re: Powder post beetles. Pretty sure you can rule them out. We had them in a teak wood hi-fi cabinet my husband brought back from Hong Kong years ago. We never saw them, but every morning we would find tiny piles of sawdust on the floor. There were tiny pin holes in the wood above them that looked like something was inside the wood trying to come out. Took it to be fumigated and the problem was solved. I don't think they are common in the USA.
  • Bar16047401

tMy daughters built new homes in a new addtition. they were all built by the same contractors, and in all the bathrooms and kitchens the floors started turning purple and green coming through the tile.

• Stacy

Is there a toilet behind this wall that you use blue chemicals in?
  • Arleta

Thanks
  • Bartholomew Roberts Smith

it kinda looks like the blue chalk powder that carpenters use with chalk lines, but I dont know why it would still be oozing out the wall unless somebody lost their chalkline back there.
  • Richard Tibbetts

Carpenters chalk left in the wall. Took this long for a rat to eat a hole through the container and spread the powder throughout the wall.
  • Lynn Kramer

;) Our cats aren't doing their job then, lol. But, no mice or anything.
  • Kaioverbeck

I had a mouse for a year and he was able to put 50 lbs, yes 50 of dog food behind my kitchen drawer. Bugs came from the area and every day I vacuumed them and bleached, never seeing the dog food. A contractor friend finally removed the whole kitchen shelving to see it. It was amazing and I was sooo embarrased. Maybe pull it out to see what is lurking there.
    • Susan Kapustka

I have tons of sewing fabric. I have corn that I feed to the squirrels. When I get a mouse, I end up with kernels of corn inside the layers of fabric. When I unroll fabric, I might get 20 pieces of corn sprinkle onto the floor. I don't know if it is from an old mouse, or if I have a new mouse.
  • Lynn Kramer

So the PepCo guy was at my work today. I told him what was going on and he's going to stop by the house in a couple of days. He said he's never heard of anything like it.
  • Kaioverbeck

Can you pull off the baseboard?
  • Ag Castor

Blue board + vibrations = dust
    Try sealing it with clear caulk...or just vacuum it up.
    • Lynn Kramer

There is no blue board in the area. Just tan particle board. We keep vacuuming it up. Also coming from behind baseboard that's been tacked into the wall.
  • Pat pickens

I can't wait to find out. Please let us know!
  • Susan Kapustka

Ants do this to me, but mine is brown. I had the trim boards sealed in the kitchen, and the ants just moved to another room.
  • Kaioverbeck

I think the mouse or mice are eating the corn and saving it for a rainy day in your fabric. I would try and eliminate them. That mouse will bring his siblings in
  • D Lakes

Lynn, did you end up finding out the answer to this? My husband and I have noticed the EXACT same thing underneath our dishwasher, and we have no idea what to think!
  • Paula

I have the same problem. Do you have laminate flooring? My laminate flooring has blue foam on the underside of each plank, and I believe the powder is coming from this.

• Paula

Just near the base board. I think that the planks are pushed together tight enough that the powder cannot seep through between them.

• Melba

Not sure