What is best way to paint a design on a fabric roman window shade?

+4
Large roman top down bottom up window shade covers triple window. It looks like a blank canvas and I would love to paint a design on it to coordinate with rest of room.
What should be used? oil paints/water? permanent markers? I am worried about "creep" of paint materials while working with shade in place. I cannot remove it to do work on flat surface - have to work vertically. HELP!!!
  • William William on Jan 24, 2017
    Since you can't remove the shade, You would need to stretch and tape the shade to a stiff backing like cardboard and paint it like a painters canvas on an easel.....
  • Jfi10811304 Jfi10811304 on Jan 24, 2017
    Sounds as though i've got to figure out a way to remove it from the wall attachments or else replace . Thanks for your response😋
  • Hillela G. Hillela G. on Jan 25, 2017
    You can use fabric paint pens and put a stiff piece of cardboard behind the shades to give you a steady surface if you want to leave the shade in place: http://www.joann.com/tulip-dual-tip-fabric-markers-14pk/13450663.html#start=6
  • Mary Mary on Jan 25, 2017
    I'm envious of you if you can paint a design yourself! :) Have you heard of Unicorn Spit? It's a gel stain that works on canvas and fabric. I think you'd still want to put cardboard behind the shade to make it sturdy, but this stuff is beautiful. There is also a "sparkly" version, so you could enhance it in certain places with that, if you wanted to. There are projects here on Hometalk from artists and DIY'ers who have used this product.
  • Lucy Marie Bernier Lucy Marie Bernier on Jan 29, 2017
    Fabric paint and stencil a design on it, Need a piece of a firm board in the back. Keep it simple. It will be easier to get it done. Maybe an Ivy pattern? Just need to figure out placement and ,where, and how much.👍 You can do it. Always try it on paper first. Fold the paper the shade does and go from there! I have faith...🙏🏼
  • Jfi10811304 Jfi10811304 on Jan 30, 2017
    Love your idea! My problem is that the shade is the Roman style (gentle gathers from too to bottom and cannot be removed unless I dismantle the entire structure from wall. (Made a really poor decision with this style!) May go back to verticals and just "eat" the cost!
  • Claude Claude on Feb 02, 2017
    Can you post a picture?